Which Central/Eastern European multinational empire do you prefer?

Which Central/Eastern European multinational empire do you prefer?

• Austria-Hungary

• The Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth

Results are only viewable after voting.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Just personally I find it's creation and way of government more interesting, especially the whole elective-monarchy [debacle]. Plus I think that that there is more.... what's the word.... flavor? Austria-Hungary is almost kind of bland in comparison, a bit like the good-kid in the classroom that never does anything wrong. Great and all, but you wouldn't say that kid was "cool" or "interesting." However, the PLC is more like this slightly emo or edgy teen that is secretly very good at physics but sucks at mostly everything else, but then he might have a secret stash of pot under his basement and in the afternoon, he gets beaten up by his three cousins called Germany, Russian and Austria before returning to school the next day missing an arm, part of the leg and still continuing on like normal.

Poor analogy, but you get my point I think/hope.
Thanks for your explanation! :)

Oct 2016
Merryland
I must confess my ignorance
I had never heard of, or don't remember anything about,
the P-L C.
a fair amount of European history seems to involve Poland suffering at the hands of neighbors :(

Sep 2016
天下
An Austrian Empire also existed in the 17th century--in fact if not in name.
You should have wrote Austrian Empire and not Austria-Hungary then, or both. Those are two different beasts really, even though one is the successor to another. And in that century Vienna was almost taken by the Ottomans, were it not for the relief force under the Polish king.

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
The PLC is interesting as it was close to a republic. The king was elected by what would be called in Britain the gentry, 3% of adult men meeting in a field with tents. There was also an a parliament elected by the same 3%. Unfortunately toward the end it had some of the problems of both feudalism and democracy.

Poland was a great power at one time, but it was repeatedly dismembered in the 18th and 20th centuries.

Austria was a small state that expanded, and it had a centralized close to absolute rule, similar to Russia, China, and Spain, but different from Poland, Venice, Britain, andGermany.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
You should have wrote Austrian Empire and not Austria-Hungary then, or both. Those are two different beasts really, even though one is the successor to another. And in that century Vienna was almost taken by the Ottomans, were it not for the relief force under the Polish king.
I meant A-H and the empires that preceded it. If you change your name, you're still the same person that you were before the name change; only your name is different. It's like with the US--the US under the Articles of Confederation and under the US Constitution was the same country.

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
As mentioned, the PLC was at its height in the 17th century, while the A-H was a 19th century empire. Politically, they were night and day. In hindsight, one could argue that the elective monarchy of the PLC was its eventual downfall. On the other hand, the PLC was praised for its republic undertones long before most anywhere else on that scale. At its height, The PLC may have been the most tolerant place in Europe. That is primarily why the region became the home to most European Jews. Christian denominational religious freedom was also present at its height. No religious wars like the 30 Years War. There was nowhere else in Europe with such ethnic and religious toleration. Additionally, there was an acceptance of arts and culture from outside the Commonwealth.
The Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth - Renaissance and Reformation - Oxford Bibliographies

Last edited:

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
I meant A-H and the empires that preceded it. If you change your name, you're still the same person that you were before the name change; only your name is different. It's like with the US--the US under the Articles of Confederation and under the US Constitution was the same country.
And how different was the Austrian Empire of the 17th century from that of the A-H in the 19th? In fact, wasn't Austria part of the HRE in the 17th? If you are using the 17th century as your yard stick, the comparison isn't close. Most people with any choice would have preferred to reside in the PLC in the 17th century. It was probably the most enlightened place in Europe at that time.