Which countries/empires that avoided this fate in real life could have shared the fate of the Byzantine Empire and Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Which countries/empires that avoided this fate in real life could have shared the fate of the Byzantine Empire and Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth? Basically, I mean being completely conquered and thus ceasing to exist.

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
Indeed, potentially any. Of note, Poland and Lithuania were reconstituted and Greece is to a certain degree a descendent of the Byzantine Empire.
But if you want likely ones with specific examples...
Hungary may have been wiped out if the Magyars didn't Christianize and settle down.
Mongolia if it didn't break away during the Chinese civil war.
Macedonia if it was included in the "greater Bulgaria" that was being considered after the Russo-Turk war.
Turkey if the planned partitions at the end of ww1 happened (although it probably wouldn't have lasted).
Czechia, Slovakia, Slovenia if the germans and Hungarians had been more proactive in assimilation.
Ireland if they hadn't managed to reassert their independence.
Siam/Thailand almost was partitioned between France and Britain.
Afghanistan and Persia could have been partitioned between Russia and Britain.
Paraguay was almost partitioned after the war of the triple alliance.
The Dominican Republic was annexed by Haiti for decades before becoming independent.
Kuwait was annexed by Iraq, if the world didn't act it would have ceased to exist.
Belgium and Luxembourg if Germany won ww1.
Andorra, San Marino, Vatican City, Monaco, Liechtenstein if history went differently.
Laos if France settled millions of Vietnamese there as they planned to before ww2.
And numerous countries that may not have been created if events went differently or would have been destroyed by Nazi Germany.

Reactions: Futurist

MAGolding

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
Which countries/empires that avoided this fate in real life could have shared the fate of the Byzantine Empire and Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth? Basically, I mean being completely conquered and thus ceasing to exist.
All of them could have been conquered by one country or partitioned among various other countries.

Almost every single country in the world today has either:

One) lost some of its territory, and thus been partially conquered or partitioned.

Or:

Two) gained some territory, or even its entire territory, from some other country (or countries) that was conquered or partitioned or partially conquered or partitioned.

So deducing that a partially conquered or partitioned country could have been entirely conquered or partitioned if things went wrong for it is hardly a big leap of faith. And since the majority of countries in the world Today have gained their independence from other countries in the last 250 years it is obvious that it would not be impossible to conquer them.

Last edited:
Feb 2014
Miami
I also think i was reading a different thread and posted a response on this thread instead of that other one. I don't even remember where it was now.