Which countries saved Jewish people?

Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
What were the countries of Europe that saved the Jewish heritage from the Nazi extremism, I know that my country helped save Jews.
I found this beautiful story »
Meet the nurse who abducted and saved 2,500 Jewish children from the hands of the Nazis. Irena served in the Polish resistance, leading the children's section of the Polish Council for Aid to the Jews. With the help of her staff, Irena saved no less than 2,500 children, removing them from the Warsaw ghetto and providing false documents and hiding places so they could survive the persecutions. To understand Sendler's impact, just remember that Schindler's list contained 1200 names.

Irena Sendler

Some of the prisoners from the Warsaw ghetto

Irena with some of the "children" she saved from the Holocaust

We must never forget the history of mankind

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
At the Evian Conference in 1938 Costa Rica was the only country to really step up to welcome Jewish refugees.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Évian_Conference
"The only countries willing to accept a large number of Jews were the Dominican Republic, which offered to accept up to 100,000 refugees on generous terms, and later Costa Rica.[6][10] In 1940 an agreement was signed and Rafael Trujillo donated 26,000 acres (110 km2) of his properties near the town of Sosúa for settlements. The first settlers arrived in May 1940: only about 800 settlers came to Sosúa, and most later moved on to the United States.[10] The Sosúa Virtual museum is a living memorial to the settlers."

Some individuals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiune_Sugihara
"was a Japanese government official who served as vice consul for the Japanese Empire in Lithuania. During the Second World War, Sugihara helped some six thousand Jews flee Europe by issuing transit visas to them so that they could travel through Japanese territory, risking his job and his family's lives.[3] The fleeing Jews were refugees from German-occupied Western Poland and Soviet-occupied Eastern Poland, as well as residents of Lithuania. A few decades after the war, in 1985, the State of Israel honored Sugihara as one of the Righteous Among the Nations (Hebrew: חסידי אומות העולם‬) for his actions. He is the only Japanese national to have been so honored."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ho_Feng-Shan
"was a Chinese diplomat for the Republic of China. When he was Consul-general in Vienna during World War II, he risked his life and career to save more than 3,000 Jews by issuing them visas, disobeying the instruction of his superiors.[2] Ho's actions were recognized posthumously when the Israeli organization Yad Vashem in 2000 decided to award him the title "Righteous among the Nations".[3]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folke_Bernadotte
Swedish Diplomacy who managed to evacuate some prisoners from concentration camps towards the end of the war.

"A count of 21,000 people "rescued included 8,000 Danes and Norwegians, 5,911 Poles, 2,629 French, 1,615 Jews, and 1,124 Germans."

He was awarded the "Righteous among Nations", later assented by Jewish extremists when working as UN mediator in Palestine in 1948.

Pendennis

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
Kirkcaldy, Scotland
No maybes -Britain played a leading role in saving Jews-see Nicholas Winter for example.
And this will surprise many -Imperial Japan working in tandem with the Soviet Union saved hundreds of Baltic Jews between 1940-41.
Meanwhile, while the US government were refusing to accept Jewish refugees from Hitler who arrived in a boat in Havana-see movie 'VOYAGE OF THE DAMNED' Britain between 1937-39 was accepting Jewish children from Nazi Germany in various Kindertransport' boats and trains..
So Britain- not the USA- took the lead in helping Jewish refugees.
ONE THESE VERY FAMOUS jEWISH REFUGEES called Lustig has just died.here in Britain.
Young Lustig arrived from Nazi Berlin on a kindertransport in 1939 then after being interned in the Isle of Man as an alien became an ace translator who listened into German officers in bugged rooms and recorded their conversations whee many discussed their part in anti-Jewish atrocities or gave valuable intelligence information. not knowing they were being recorded.
But in helping Jewish refugees from Nazi Germany the USA were Johnny-come-latelies compared to the UK.

Dec 2011
N. Ireland
I think this post is intended to mean NAZI-occupied countries whose population helped save their Jews, rather than outside countries, who took refugees.

I think most countries had small groups, or individuals who played a part, (Denmark had a better record than most, I think) but most also had some people who actively co-operated in the destruction of their Jewish neighbours.

Nemowork

Ad Honorem
Jan 2011
South of the barcodes
'Merica.

I think some other allied countries helped too. Maybe.
:D

Yeah right. the Klu Klux Klan had a few opinions on importing Jews when they had more than enough at home.

The Deutsche American Bunde also had opinions.

The US government also restricted refugees and immigrants to prevent swamping of American jobs during the depression, the restrictions werent removed till later.

American got involved in destroying the Nazis and relieving jewish victims of the holocaust, rescuing jews became part of the myth of American heroism and gained steam in the 1950s with very publiuc media campaigns to prevent anti-semitism.

It got amplified when jewish and black groups cooperated in the civil rights campaigns.

But thats a postwar rewriting of American history.

Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
I think this post is intended to mean NAZI-occupied countries whose population helped save their Jews, rather than outside countries, who took refugees.

I think most countries had small groups, or individuals who played a part, (Denmark had a better record than most, I think) but most also had some people who actively co-operated in the destruction of their Jewish neighbours.
Yes friend is right, it is my fault because I did not explain myself wrong, thanks for the rectification of my post.
But we can ask the question in the global about the invaded countries themselves, and for the neutral countries.

My country was neutral in the second war, it also received thousands of Jews.
But my country could save more Jews, but the politics of the Portuguese dictator Salazar did not.

The Jewish refugees that Portugal did not save in 1940

In 1940, a convoy with Jewish refugees accompanied by the Gestapo tried to come to Portugal. But the entrance was refused. They turned back and some of them died in extermination camps.

LInk in Portuguese only

Real story

Os refugiados judeus que Portugal não salvou em 1940 ? Observador