• Britain

Votes: 23 45.1%
  • Another Country

Votes: 5 9.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 2019
Serbia
I've seen many threads asking questions such as which country did the most to defeat the Axis in WWII or which country did the most to defeat the Central Powers in WWI however I've yet to see a thread asking which country did the most to defeat Napoleon and end the Napoleonic Wars.

What do you think? Which country played the largest role in defeating Napoleon and why?

Feb 2019
Serbia
I am going to say Britain not because they did most fighting but rather they remained in the 'fight' continuously and played a role that no other country could play that of pay master.

I voted for Britain as well. (Maybe this isn't a surprise...) They didn't do most of the fighting on land, however I've been reading a few books on the British navy in the era lately and the blockade of France and their satellites as well as their naval campaigns they conducted all over the world. While these were much smaller in scale than the main theatres in Europe they were pretty significant in defeating France as well as keep Britain in the fight, this seems to be a significant achievement considering Russia, Austria, Prussia and most other coalition powers didn't last long against Napoleon in most cases.

This is not to take away anything from the other coalition countries or the war on land but Britain's naval campaigns were quite crucial in defeating Napoleon and having the money for financing other coalition countries.

Reactions: David Vagamundo

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
I don't know. I still voted for Russia due to the 1812 invasion.

paranoid marvin

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
uk
Other nations were often reactive in their opposition to Napoleon (ie when they were attacked/invaded), Britain was always proactive, and often prepared to finance and/or be involved in leading and co-ordinating opposition.

Napoleon's enemy though waa himself. Put simply, if he hadn't invaded Russia he would probably have ruled as Emperor for the rest of his life.

Reactions: sparky

johnincornwall

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Cornwall
Other nations were often reactive in their opposition to Napoleon (ie when they were attacked/invaded), Britain was always proactive, and often prepared to finance and/or be involved in leading and co-ordinating opposition.

Napoleon's enemy though waa himself. Put simply, if he hadn't invaded Russia he would probably have ruled as Emperor for the rest of his life.
And Spain. The two are linked. In 1811/12 there's a constant theme of troops and resources being withdrawn from Spain ready for Russia.

Edratman

Forum Staff
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
Napoleon would have never stopped trying to expand his empire by force or coercion. Never.......

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
He was doing great and controlled a large part of Europe until he invaded Russia and then his army was destroyed and eventually Paris fell.

Feb 2019
Serbia
He was doing great and controlled a large part of Europe until he invaded Russia and then his army was destroyed and eventually Paris fell.
In naval warfare he was doing... less than well despite all his efforts. He was also struggling in the Peninsular War.

All for the glory of France of course, never for himself (or so he would have us believe).
Yes, he didn't attempt to ''imitate'' Alexander and didn't have such fantasies as personally conquering Egypt and the Levant or marching through Persia towards India.

Well this isn't so simple. Britain was proactive most of the times but it was also antagonised by Napoleon who tried many things to isolate Britain from the continent. During the Amiens peace phase in 1802 Britain refused to return Malta to the Knights, sent France an ultimatum to withdraw from Holland and declared war first. However Napoleon had ambitions to retake Haiti, sent fleets to Louisiana and the Atlantic and had ambitions to go down to Egypt once again and many things in Amiens were unresolved such as the fate of Switzerland or Savoy. Many of his plans directly interfered with Britain's interests and his goals were to undermine Britain so he wasn't entirely clean in that regard. So I wouldn't say Britain was completely proactive at least in this case.