• Another Country

Votes: 5 9.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
I voted for Russia because I believe the 1812 campaign was the event that shattered the perception that Napoleon was unstoppable. It was the first campaign in which Napoleon was personally decisively defeated (I know, Egypt but Napoleon left before the final collapse and became Consul). Sure, his army suffered setbacks in Spain, but when Napoleon led the army, he crushed the Spanish. Trafalgar was a devastating blow, but once again it was not Napoleon who was personally defeated and he would later crush the Coalition at Austerlitz, Aspern-Essling was overshadowed by Wagram etc. So most of his previous setbacks were somewhat overshadowed by successes. There was no such thing with the Russian campaign. Napoleon went there, Napoleon led the campaign and Napoleon was crushed.

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
here
Other nations were often reactive in their opposition to Napoleon (ie when they were attacked/invaded), Britain was always proactive, and often prepared to finance and/or be involved in leading and co-ordinating opposition.

Napoleon's enemy though waa himself. Put simply, if he hadn't invaded Russia he would probably have ruled as Emperor for the rest of his life.
But wasn't his reason for invading Russia really about Britain?

Jul 2017
France
Russia without doubt, by far.

Prussia also made a major contribution in 1813, but Prussia was liberated thanks to Russia.

The battle that marks the end of Napoleon is the battle of Leipzig, it is like Stalingrad or Kursk, after that he can always try to fight, but he totally loses the initiative.

The German campaign of 1813 was one of the bloodiest, Napoleon will lose nearly 700,000 men
And there was not a single British man in the coalition troops. German Campaign of 1813 - Wikipedia

Last edited: