• Another Country

Votes: 5 9.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
here
All for the glory of France of course, never for himself (or so he would have us believe).
I think it's a two way street. Didn't his Old Guard receive better pay? Weren't they shown a reverence by other, "lesser," troops? Didn't France as a whole benefit (even though it may have came at the expense of other nations) economically as a result of his conquests and policies?

Besides that, why is he seemingly singled out as being a self serving leader? Were the leaders of Austria, Spain, Russia or Britain really anymore concerned with the welfare of their people(s)?

Feb 2019
Serbia
Austria
they were members of just about all those coalitions
first army to hand Napoleon a major defeat (Aspern-Essling)
rarely won battles but constant factor.
by the time of Napoleon's marriage of Marie-Louise the French army and Napoleon himself were past their prime and easily defeated by GB/Russia/Prussia

Valid points, however I would disagree with your statement about the French being past their prime when they were being defeated.
Trafalgar and most of Britain's naval campaigns were fought before Napoleon's marriage to Marie Louise and the French navy lost almost all of them, Vimeiro, Bailen, Talavera and other big battles on land were also before Napoleon's marriage. I would also say that Napoleon wasn't quite ''past his prime'' later on as he managed to score several brilliant victories in 6th coalition such as Dresden, the 6 days' campaign and Lutzen, the reason why he is considered ''past his prime'' was exactly because he and the French army were suffering defeats at this point, even if they were past their prime I don't think that disqualifies coalition victories after 1809 or makes them less significant. Especially Wellington's victories in the Peninsular War or Russian victories in 1812 and the 6th coalition.

Feb 2019
Serbia
Save Serbia was not defined as his Hell.. by Napoleon.. and nobody wrote about Serbia in Britain, German States, or Russia...:p
No, they did write about it, Serbia didn't even fight Napoleon and technically didn't even exist as an independent state but they were still totally written about.;)

Oct 2016
Merryland
Valid points, however I would disagree with your statement about the French being past their prime when they were being defeated.
Trafalgar and most of Britain's naval campaigns were fought before Napoleon's marriage to Marie Louise and the French navy lost almost all of them, Vimeiro, Bailen, Talavera and other big battles on land were also before Napoleon's marriage. I would also say that Napoleon wasn't quite ''past his prime'' later on as he managed to score several brilliant victories in 6th coalition such as Dresden, the 6 days' campaign and Lutzen, the reason why he is considered ''past his prime'' was exactly because he and the French army were suffering defeats at this point, even if they were past their prime I don't think that disqualifies coalition victories after 1809 or makes them less significant. Especially Wellington's victories in the Peninsular War or Russian victories in 1812 and the 6th coalition.
IIRC the French army was smaller as so many soldiers had died out or were too injured to fight. later Napoleonic armies had large contingents of international 'volunteers', often Polish.
I submit that Napoleon himself was past his peak and, while able to win a victory on occasion, had lost that edge or spark or whatever one terms genius.
Napoleon spent a lot of resources, human and material, and psychological, in his many struggles with Austria.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
They didn't?!
Exactly.. they didn´t...

"Cette malheureuse guerre d'Espagne m'a perdu... Elle a été une véritable plaie, la cause première des malheurs de la France... Toutes les circonstances de mes désastres viennent se rattacher à ce nœud fatal ; a divisé mes forces, multiplié mes efforts, détruit ma moralité en Europe, compliqué mes embarras, ouvert une école aux soldats anglais. Les événements ont prouvé que j'avais fait une grande faute dans le choix de mes moyens... L'immoralité dut se montrer par trop patente, l'injustice par trop cynique et le tout demeure fort vilain puisque j'ai succombé..." Napoleon Ièr

as you can read.. he didn´t wrote the Guerre de Maryland... la Guerre de l´Autriche... la Guerre de la Prusse etc etc

This unfortunate war in Spain has lost me ... It has been a real plague, the main cause of the misfortunes of France ... All the circumstances of my disasters come to be attached to this fatal knot; it divided my forces, multiplied my efforts, destroyed my morality in Europe, complicated my embarrassment, opened a school for the English soldiers, events proved that I had made a great mistake in the choice of my means ... Immorality must have shown too obvious, injustice too cynical and the whole remains very ugly since I succumbed ... (Napoleon I)

Still in 2017.... the two main mistakes commited by Napoleon (according to the French historian were...

La Guerre d´Espagne (1808 - 1814)
L ´Expédition de Russie (1812)

It was not only Napoleon... but every one from the Marshalls to the last private...as it is wrriten bu themselves...

Les témoignages des contemporains disent combien l’engagement dans ce conflit a été perçu comme le tournant de l’Empire

The Contemporanean testimonies say how much that war was perceived as the turning point of the Empire

Envahir la Russie était aussi une faute, s'attarder à Moscou une erreur. Mais c'est en Espagne que Napoléon trébuche vraiment, qu'il commet le faux-pas qui va précipiter sa chute et celle de l'Empire.

To invade Russia was also a fault.. to stay in Moscow a mistake. But it was in Spain where Napoleon really stumbles, that he commits the false step that will precipitate his fall and that of the Empire.

So.. when you say USA, Serbia, Montenegro, Austria or Prussia killed more Imperial soldiers than Spain...you are wrong... and you know..or you should ...

The Tomb of the Imperial Army.

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
here
Sheesh, Martin..... I don't really think the US had much, if anything at all to do with Nappy's defeat. I only suggested it because of what you said about people voting on this poll based on nationality.

Well... I vote by Spain....as others vote by their countries....
I voted for Britain. So, obviously what you're suggesting here, that people voted in this poll based on their countries of origin, isn't necessarily or always true.

Feb 2019
Serbia
Exactly.. they didn´t...

"Cette malheureuse guerre d'Espagne m'a perdu... Elle a été une véritable plaie, la cause première des malheurs de la France... Toutes les circonstances de mes désastres viennent se rattacher à ce nœud fatal ; a divisé mes forces, multiplié mes efforts, détruit ma moralité en Europe, compliqué mes embarras, ouvert une école aux soldats anglais. Les événements ont prouvé que j'avais fait une grande faute dans le choix de mes moyens... L'immoralité dut se montrer par trop patente, l'injustice par trop cynique et le tout demeure fort vilain puisque j'ai succombé..." Napoleon Ièr

as you can read.. he didn´t wrote the Guerre de Maryland... la Guerre de l´Autriche... la Guerre de la Prusse etc etc

This unfortunate war in Spain has lost me ... It has been a real plague, the main cause of the misfortunes of France ... All the circumstances of my disasters come to be attached to this fatal knot; it divided my forces, multiplied my efforts, destroyed my morality in Europe, complicated my embarrassment, opened a school for the English soldiers, events proved that I had made a great mistake in the choice of my means ... Immorality must have shown too obvious, injustice too cynical and the whole remains very ugly since I succumbed ... (Napoleon I)

Still in 2017.... the two main mistakes commited by Napoleon (according to the French historian were...

La Guerre d´Espagne (1808 - 1814)
L ´Expédition de Russie (1812)

It was not only Napoleon... but every one from the Marshalls to the last private...as it is wrriten bu themselves...

Les témoignages des contemporains disent combien l’engagement dans ce conflit a été perçu comme le tournant de l’Empire

The Contemporanean testimonies say how much that war was perceived as the turning point of the Empire

Envahir la Russie était aussi une faute, s'attarder à Moscou une erreur. Mais c'est en Espagne que Napoléon trébuche vraiment, qu'il commet le faux-pas qui va précipiter sa chute et celle de l'Empire.

To invade Russia was also a fault.. to stay in Moscow a mistake. But it was in Spain where Napoleon really stumbles, that he commits the false step that will precipitate his fall and that of the Empire.

So.. when you say USA, Serbia, Montenegro, Austria or Prussia killed more Imperial soldiers than Spain...you are wrong... and you know..or you should ...

The Tomb of the Imperial Army.
I think it should've been obvious but when we talked about Serbia or the USA beating Napoleon we were sarcastic, we did it because of your assumption that people here only vote for their own countries.

I voted for Britain too as I have already mentioned earlier in the thread. However I will say that in the Peninsular War Spain wasn't the only combatant, Wellington and the British also achieved great victories and gave the French a bloody nose several times and inflicted huge casualties (Massena's 1810 campaign and the Lines of Torres Vedras, Salamanca, Vittoria, Talavera, Vimeiro, Home Popham's raids on the Spanish coastline to name but a few.), so those 300.000+ dead in Spain weren't only taken by the Spanish, but also by the British and Portuguese.