Which country in the world has more churches?

Aug 2012
Perhaps the USA? There are so many denominations in their land, and so much free space, that logically they must have the most churches. Don't they even have drive-through churches in places like Las Vegas?

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
Perhaps the USA? There are so many denominations in their land, and so much free space, that logically they must have the most churches. Don't they even have drive-through churches in places like Las Vegas?
Could be. There are so many churches just in the small town near where I live, often 2 or 3 on the same number of city blocks.

Last edited:
Jul 2009
It has to be Greece. :D
There are churches in the middle of farm fields; churches in the middle of vineyards; churches maintained in villages where no one lives any more. There are about 10 million Greeks and about 10 million churches.

Ichon

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
U.S. due to its size and population has the most churches I am pretty sure. Several U.S. cities have 5,000+ churches and most small towns have 5+ churches so when you add that all up... the regular estimate is 300,000 to 350,000 Christian churches in the U.S. with a few thousands more temples, synagogues, mosques, etc.

The number of churches per capita though I think Greece is definitely near the top of that list- maybe Ireland, Brasil, or Jamaica has more though.

Pedro

Forum Staff
Mar 2008
On a mountain top in Costa Rica. yeah...I win!!
Are we limiting the definition of “church” to architecture specifically designed for worship.
Which of course excludes counting a store front church and private homes that hold services and anything else in the makeshift category.

For example. When I was a kid our town was so small it didn´t have a Catholic Church, but it did have a congregation that attended Sunday mass in the small local movie theater. It was a Catholic church conducting a service but no one (not even the bishop I imagine) would refer to the building as anything but a theater.

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
Good point, Pedro. Also, do small chapels count or not?

We can't get an answer if we don't say what we're measuring. The total number, per capita, per square mile?

Saying tha there are US cities with thousands of churches means nothing. I give you Alaska. How many are up there in the vast wilderness? Or in the big Apalachian woods? In the swamps and everglades of the South and all the other vast places in America? We need, you know, numbers. :)

macon

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Slovenia, EU
Per capita? Slovenia of course. :)

I've found views with 10 and more churches and chapels in villages and hills.

Kidding, kidding, I have no data, but Slovenia is really full of churches.