Which country is more powerful today: Germany or China?

China or Germany: More powerful nation today?

• China

Votes: 20 90.9%
  • Germany

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
Dec 2015
USA
Statistics can be misused or misread at times, China is a great case. China sees a # of Chinese Billionares and their salary when put up against poor Chinese people might make it look like China has this big time strong ecnomy. And while China has made improvements, It is safe to say Germany is at this moment in history a better country to live in for your average Joe compared to China.

Despite China's Fast-Growing Wealth, Millions Still Remain Poor

Germany has one of the strongest economies in the world

Germany has one of the strongest economies in the world – but it's not because of Angela Merkel

Germany’s jobs miracle

Germany’s jobs miracle

Country comparison Germany vs China

GDP per capita [+]

Germany -48,266$

China 8,804$

Country comparison Germany vs China 2019

Last edited:

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Statistics can be misused or misread at times, China is a great case. China sees a # of Chinese Billionares and their salary when put up against poor Chinese people might make it look like China has this big time strong ecnomy. And while China has made improvements, It is safe to say Germany is at this moment in history a better country to live in for your average Joe compared to China.

Germany has one of the strongest economies in the world

Germany has one of the strongest economies in the world – but it's not because of Angela Merkel

Germany’s jobs miracle

Germany’s jobs miracle

Country comparison Germany vs China

GDP per capita [+]

Germany -48,266$

China8,804$

Country comparison Germany vs China 2019
Stick to normal size text please.

Jan 2019
Eastern Europe
The same fact that Germany can't do or say anything that might create a conflict with China, tells a lot.
I mean Germany is certainly power - in world standards - but it is nowhere near superpower-level that China is trying to reach. Size-wise, resource-wise and so on.

Germany is more Japanese or South Korean level or powerhouse. India probably can might be ahead of Germany too.

Also, true state of affairs in China we probably don't know as it shares filtered information sparingly.

Dec 2017
Regnum Teutonicum
@JoanOfArc007
I tend to agree with you, but when one writes that China is rising, then one should mention that Germany is rising as well.

@chucke
Since when can't Germany say or do anything that might create a conflict with China? That is not the case. See for example Miller, R.A., Law land: Germany as a legal super power, 2015:

"The great power Germany is discovering itself to possess in world affairs—in its own right and as the leading force in an ever-closer Europe—draws on many strengths. The country’s status as a legal superpower is one of the most important forms of German soft power."

"Mainland China and Taiwan
Considering China’s immense power in the world today, one attenuated but important vehicle for the power of German law in the world will be its immense influence over Chinese private law."

Additionally I think when one looks at how China views Germany, one can see that Germany is no Chinese vassal. China wouldn't do joint cabinet meetings with countries it doesn't see as equal. See for example Kundnani, H. & Parello-Plesner, J., China and Germany: why the emerging special relationship matters for Europe, 2012. Here are three quotes:

"an increasingly close political relationship that was upgraded to a new level last June when Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao came to Berlin with 13 ministers and held a so-called government-to-government consultation – in effect, a joint cabinet meeting. Germany had previously held such meetings with other countries such as France and Israel and also since last year with India. But it was the first time that China had ever established such a high-level inter-governmental negotiation mechanism with an EU member state – an extraordinary expression of Germany’s importance to it. In short, Germany is now by far the biggest European player in China."

"At present, there is an almost perfect symbiosis between the Chinese and German economies: China needs technology and Germany needs markets. “We have exactly the products they need”, says one German official. In particular, Chinese consumers want high-end German products such as cars (China is now the biggest market for the Mercedes S-Class) and Chinese companies want German machinery. Chinese officials say they see Germany as having a stronger “real economy” – and therefore see it as more useful to them – than other member states such as the United Kingdom that have largely abandoned manufacturing. “We want to work with other Europeans too but there is limited potential”, says one Chinese official. In particular, Germany is involved in industries that China regards as strategically important such as automobiles, renewables and high-technology."

"China’s increased focus on Germany may also be a pragmatic response to a perceived shift in the balance of power within Europe as a result of the crisis, which some Chinese analysts say they see as a “new start” for relations between China and Europe. Against the background of the crisis, Chinese officials and analysts see a Germany that is increasingly powerful, a France that is weakened, and a UK that is marginalised. They therefore see Germany playing an increasingly decisive role in EU decision-making and therefore feel they have little choice but to approach Europe through Germany. “If you want something done in Brussels you go to Berlin,” says one Chinese official."

I might agree with you that China might overall be more powerful than Germany (I didn't vote, because I would vote to option of draw, as I wrote earlier), but Germany is more powerful in a lot of cases than China. Germany is definately more powerful than middle powers like South Korea and India. I would also see Germany, which is a great power after all, more powerful than the greta power Japan, for example I would only see the USA and China as more influential than Germany (and France in subsaharan Africa).

@aggienation
I think it is better to subdivide the economic power. For example as you wrote, China is better in production, that is the reason why it is higher in your sources, because it sells more. On the other hand Germany is leading in technology.