Which country is the oldest existing one in Europe?

notgivenaway

Ad Honorem
Jun 2015
UK
Is it France? it's existed since the Carolingian times.

I read once that Scotland predates England as a single kindgom, since the first King of Scots was crowned before King Athelstan united England.

What about Russia, since the Kievan Rus' were formed around the same time. Would Spain qualify, with Leon/Castille?

Jan 2015
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Longest continuous state that never changed it's state name? You'll have to be a little more specific.

notgivenaway

Ad Honorem
Jun 2015
UK
Well France has changed its name and structure many times, but it still has existed for centuries.

Jan 2015
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Well France has changed its name and structure many times, but it still has existed for centuries.
Exactly. Which is why you need to ask more precisely what you had in mind. Majority of the European countries in their current form are all relatively young, formed in 19th and 20th century.
Do you count the countries that were part of a bigger one and then broke off but had historically been states before?
Do you count England or UK or are they interchangeable to you? Same with Russia and Soviet Union, Serbia and Yugoslavia, etc.

Apr 2017
Bayreuth
The oldest country in Europe is Greece^^ and then maybe Romania.
Ireland is as old as France. Vatican city – is old, too, but I think France and Ireland are older.

Jan 2015
Bosnia and Herzegovina
San Marino having been founded in 301 AD is the oldest surviving sovereign state in Europe with world’s oldest constitution. It gained independence from Roman empire :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Marino
Well, in 301 a church and a monastery was founded from which later would form the republic of San Marino. I don't think that counts as being a sovereign state. They weren't officially recognized by anyone until 1600s.

Oct 2016
Romania
The oldest country in Europe is Greece^^ and then maybe Romania.
Ireland is as old as France. Vatican city – is old, too, but I think France and Ireland are older.
As a romanian I am happy that you mentioned us but, Romania is actually quite young. Our southern neighbours the bulgarians foundend their country/kingdom in the late 7th century.

At Each Kilometer

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
Bulgaria
Well, in 301 a church and a monastery was founded from which later would form the republic of San Marino. I don't think that counts as being a sovereign state. They weren't officially recognized by anyone until 1600s.
Regarding recognition prior to the founding of LN, there was no international body to recognise nationhood and independence had no meaning beyond mutual recognition of de facto sovereigns. San Marino is the only surviving micro-state on italian peninsula, its borders have remained unchanged and has a constitution dating to 1600. It is true it was occupied several times in middle age and by both the nazis and the allies in WW2, so if this a criteria that constitutes a break in sovereignty, i presume France is out of the list also :)
As a romanian I am happy that you mentioned us but, Romania is actually quite young. Our southern neighbours the bulgarians foundend their country/kingdom in the late 7th century.
Ryanx probably meant roman kingdom/republic/empire. Leaders of the fourth crusade after the fall of the City named their new domain of lands captured from eastern roman empire - Empire of Romania /Imperium Romaniae/ btw

Reactions: Futurist