Which country made best science/technology contribution?

Status
Closed

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Compl
I'm not sure you can claim the people your country tried to exterminate and expulse for "German" achievement.
Completely agree. I guess the Germans are aware of the fact that Einstein is who prompted the US president (along with Leo Szilard) to get the US to make the huge investment in the atomic bomb. Had it been invented earlier, it would have been dropped on the Germans first since that was the original intended target. The Germans were very lucky.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Compl
I'm not sure you can claim the people your country tried to exterminate and expulse for "German" achievement.
Completely agree. I guess the Germans are aware of the fact that Einstein is who prompted the US president (along with Leo Szilard) to get the US to make the huge investment in the atomic bomb. Had it been invented earlier, it would have been dropped on the Germans first since that was the original intended target. The Germans were very lucky.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Compl

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Compl

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Thank you fo
Time you got yourself to the Science Museum in Kensington. There you can see the part of the Analytical Engine that Babbage did complete, the Arithmetical Mill, which was put on display at the 1860 Kensington Exhibition and also the full and improved version of the Mill completed by Babbage's son in his spare time and presented in 1910. There is also an operating version of the full Analytical Engine built with no alterations to Babbage's designs and using the materials and manufacturing techniques of the 1850s.

Hollerith machines were TABULATING machines, not computers and the punch cards were effectively data storage devices. Punched cards as programming devices--more accurately to supply an INSTRUCTION SET predate Babbage and Lovelace as they were used on Jacquard loom Looms from 1801 to "program" a loom to produce a particular pattern in the weave, those patterns can be incredibly complex--again your visit to the Science Museum will allow you to see a tapestry produced on such a loom of Jacquard himself that was the property of Babbage Snr. and is almost photographic in its detail. While Babbage was proposing the idea of using punched cards, it was Ada Lovelace who both developed the idea and wrote a detailed paper on their use.
Another early use of a paper instruction set was of course Player-Pianos, which you must have seen at some time--in fact such "pianolas" are still made and one can still buy the music rolls.

You may like to swot up on the relationship between Babbage and Lovelace.
Thank you for this.

Status
Closed