Which Eastern European country do you think had the best chance to avoid Communism after WWII?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Out of all of the Eastern European countries that became Communist in real life, which of these countries do you think had the best chance to avoid Communism after WWII?

Apr 2018
Upland, Sweden
How would you have gotten Czechoslovakia to avoid Communism?
I'm not sure... from what I've understood the coup in 1948 occured largely because the ruling government was so strongly associated with the failed inter-war policies that in the eyes of the population had led to Czechoslovakia being invaded by Germany and the failed security guarantees from the West. Combine that with some economic troubles in the immediate post-war years, and obviously people will not be happy.

Perhaps a short-term military dictatorship (which in itself is problematic) would have been a solution, although that could have had the opposite effect of encouraging the communists...

Apr 2018
Upland, Sweden
A short-term military dictatorship might have resulted in a Greek-like civil war in Czechoslovakia, no?
Exactly, that's what I was afraid of, and given the proximity to the other Eastern bloc countries the Soviet's might have intervened.

Stalin could well have used "upholding the democratic freedoms of the Czech people" etc. as a pretext, and not been totally wrong...

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Yeah, Greece was far away from the Soviet Union, but Czechoslovakia formed a huge salient in Communist Eastern Europe and thus Stalin might have been less willing to allow it to avoid Communism than he was for Greece.

Also, if Czechoslovakia somehow does maintain its independence and avoid going Communist, is it eventually going to break up? Also, is it going to join both the EU and NATO after the collapse of Communism elsewhere in Europe?

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
I don't see Czechoslovakia avoiding commie rule, it was actually CS where the communist party had the strongest popular support in the temporary (more or less) democratic transitional period after ww2. Also the neighboring East German zone and Hungary were under permanent Soviet occupation, i doubt they would let such a big western oriented non-commie wedge existing there. + it had too much industrial value and it was also bordering directly the SU itself.

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
Perhaps Romania? It was on the periphery of the battle front and still had a king at the end of the war. Maybe if Romania had paid the Soviet Union the $300M in reparations,as designated by the Allies, the USSR would have less of a reason to continue to occupy?