Which Eastern European country do you think had the best chance to avoid Communism after WWII?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Perhaps Romania? It was on the periphery of the battle front and still had a king at the end of the war. Maybe if Romania had paid the Soviet Union the $300M in reparations,as designated by the Allies, the USSR would have less of a reason to continue to occupy?
The Soviets would still need access through Romania to get to Bulgaria, though. Of course, the Soviets could reach Bulgaria by sea and, in any case, theoretically speaking, even a non-Communist Romania could make an agreement allowing the Soviet Union free entry to get access to Bulgaria.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Romania under Ceausescu was actually relatively independent-minded--though he obviously never actually had the guts to withdraw from the Warsaw Pact, presumably for obvious reasons.

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
I don't have any candidate, if you are "liberated" by the SU, you end up communist. :p

I thought maybe Albania if the Greek Civil War spills across the border somehow, but at that time it had Yugoslav backing, so i'm not even sure about that....

Apr 2018
Upland, Sweden
I don't see Czechoslovakia avoiding commie rule, it was actually CS where the communist party had the strongest popular support in the temporary (more or less) democratic transitional period after ww2. Also the neighboring East German zone and Hungary were under permanent Soviet occupation, i doubt they would let such a big western oriented non-commie wedge existing there. + it had too much industrial value and it was also bordering directly the SU itself.
Well, the reason I thought Czechoslovakia was because they were not (as) occupied by the Red Army (as far as I know anyway) and from what I've understood maintained a greater degree of autonomy, with the actual government in Exile in the West returning into power. I could see Masaryk and Benes pursuing something closer to the Finnish approach... maybe.

On the other hand maybe not, this is sounding more and more far fetched the more I think about it

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Well, the USSR did withdraw from northern Iran after the end of WWII--but then again, northern Iran was probably less strategically vital than Czechoslovakia was for the USSR.

Similar History Discussions