Which empire in history do you consider to be the most interesting?

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Due to my academic path I would say the Portuguese and the Castilian empires. I also very fond of reading about the Aragonese Mediterranean empire. A bit also about the Abyssinian/Ethiopian, most of all in the 16th century.

Apart from these, I usually don’t focus on empires, and when I do I am not much original in my random readings: The British and the Ottoman are probably on the top. Last week I bought one about the Mongols on a street market, but still didn’t begun to take a look to it.

Reactions: macon and Futurist

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
I get what you are saying, but there is nothing accurate about the nine centuries of Ottoman state. So, there really is no accurate part to emphasize.
Okay, now I understand better.

The Ottoman empire from say a few decades prior to Ankara battle (1402?) to early 1920s is a very good tenure.

It is not nine centuries, right. But granted that the member had already admitted to guessing.... that's where the policy of effort optimism is best applied. He's saying I am not sure, give me some more info. My reply is effectively, "Yes, Turkish military was major influence from eleventh to nineteenth centuries, a nine century span." He can then reply on the specifics of the Ottoman Empire.

The discussion is the currency, rather than a recitation of the dates.

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
"Favorite" means the question is a subjective, right? I don't have choose the Empire that I would say is the most admirable. Though it is a "boring" answer, the British Empire is to me EASILY the most admirable. One could also find a lot to admire in the ancient (or early medieval?) Chinese Empires also, as their influence on history is great, as is true of the Persians.

My favorite to study is easily the quasi-Empire of the four successors of Phillip and Alexander. There's no New Testament without the Greek lingua franca.

Last edited:
Reactions: macon and Futurist
Mar 2019
KL
archaeological survey of india was doing a really good job in its initial years in digging north indian ruins, they probably found an arch fragment with inscription which was dated to the nanda period, in the 5th cen BC.

the organisation probably knows a lot, need to dig into its archives.

Magadhan Empire. I'm especially curious about its early days and whether or not the Shishunagas/Nandas had left any of their architecture behind.

Khmer Empire. I want to know what their relations were like with the Burmans before the arrival of the Thais from the North-East.

Reactions: No Bias FTW

macon

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Slovenia, EU
Taking the definition of "Ottoman" to include all Turkish military factions, then, we can count from prior to Manikert?

Eleventh through nineteenth centuries: that's nine, absolutely.
More correct would be 14-20 in my opinion. I would not put Seljuks into Ottoman empire. About 5.5 centuries.

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
I'm a sucker for the 18th and 19th century, that's why my favourites are the Austrian(-Hungarian), French, British, German and Russian empires.

Jan 2017
Durham
I will say the British Empire. I've always found it fascinating how Britain, a nation on an island which is not particularly special in terms of resources and population compared to their rivals managed to build the largest Empire in human history.
That's not quite true.

We were fortunate in that we had an abundance of coal, and no matter where you are in England you're never more than 70 miles from the sea.

That meant we could build and transport the materials needed to power the industrial revolution, e.g. steel, railways, canal transport. Overland transport was extremely expensive in those days, and time consuming, whereas we could produce from Northern areas of the country and very quickly and cost effectively ship it down to London.

Add to that, we were fairly secure as an island nation, so we didn't have the threat of an invading army marching over our borders. That's why we've never gone in for politics shaped by fear, i.e. left and right ideologies. And, that generates an outward, commercial outlook - in contrast to say Germany of that period.

There's no mystery, no magic; 'long story short, we had the geographical conditions to offer opportunity, and opportunity generates ideas, e.g. science, technology and so on.

Jan 2017
Durham
I'm a sucker for the 18th and 19th century, that's why my favourites are the Austrian(-Hungarian), French, British, German and Russian empires.
19th century is my favourite period of history, and I reckon the two most interesting empires of that period or any other period, are Germany and Austria-Hungary.

Reactions: Shtajerc