Which empire in history do you consider to be the most interesting?

Jun 2019
United States
For me it has and always will be the Carthaginian Empire. I am fascinated by their innovated military power, specifically their naval prowess. They also were explorers who ventured far and wide with guys like Hano The Navigator who explored the western coast of Africa and they famously brought back Gorilla specimens to Carthage. Of course the main fascination is with the Barca family and their role throughout the Punic Wars and their dealings with Rome. Hamilcar Barca and his three sons including the most famous Hannibal who traversed the Alps to attack Rome at their heart. The other two brothers were just as fascinating Hasdrubal and Mago who were both mighty warriors and equally brilliant commanders arguably. I also find the tragedy of their demise interesting as well the fact that their entire city was burned to the ground and almost wiped from history.

MAGolding

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
My favorites are the Roman-"Byzantine"-Holy Roman-empire(s), a number of Chinese dynasties, the Mughal empire, the Iranian empires of the Achaemenid, Arsacid, and Sassanid dynasties.

Among groups of colonial possessions I guess the Spanish, British, and French.

MAGolding

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
My favorites are the Roman-"Byzantine"-Holy Roman-empire(s), a number of Chinese dynasties, the Mughal empire, the Iranian empires of the Achaemenid, Arsacid, and Sassanid dynasties.

Among what I call "inferiums", European states that falsely claimed to be empires despite not being Roman empires, the multinational Empire of Austria is my favorite.

Among groups of colonial possessions I guess the Spanish, British, and French.

holoow

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Vilnius, Lithuania
Not necessarily the greatest or most impressive, or even necessarily successful, but something you find has qualities or features that are fascinating and unique to you.

For me it's the Byzantine Empire (as much as I prefer not to call it "Byzantine" since it's anachronistic), specifically in the period of the 8th century to the 11th century. I like the unique hybrid of Western and Eastern culture, the prominence of Greek language and Orthodoxy, the direct succession from the old Roman Empire, the large variety of enemies they fought - from Bulgarians to Huns to Normans to Arabs - and the unpredictable and bloody political system. It feels like a distinctly Eastern empire in many ways, but without being Muslim, thus giving it a uniqueness. It has this other-wordly and almost mythical quality to it, I find. Reading about Medieval Europe can be occasionally boring for me because of how small scale and repetitive the inter-dynastic feuding becomes after a few centuries, but the Byzantine Empire never feels dull because something new and interesting is always happening. They very rarely had any extended periods of peace and stability, being an enemy to both Christian and Muslim states, as well as facing uncountable civil wars and rebellions. While Europe languished in its semi-Dark Age, Byzantium's preservation of knowledge, science and culture was remarkable.

Anyway, that's my pick. What about you guys?
Byzantine Empire - enemy of Christian states? :eek: They were Christian, just Orthodox. That means, just more mystic than in the Western Christianity.

Jan 2017
Durham
Byzantine Empire - enemy of Christian states? :eek: They were Christian, just Orthodox. That means, just more mystic than in the Western Christianity.
I could be wrong here, as I don't know that much about religion, but i thought Christian Orthodox was more conservative than Roman Catholicism, nothing to do with Mysticism? I know it takes some doing to be more conservative than the Roman Cathlic faith but there you go.

holoow

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Vilnius, Lithuania
I could be wrong here, as I don't know that much about religion, but i thought Christian Orthodox was more conservative than Roman Catholicism, nothing to do with Mysticism? I know it takes some doing to be more conservative than the Roman Cathlic faith but there you go.
More conservative? Probably. But for me Orthodox Christianity is rather more archaic and 'stubborn', than conservative.

Last edited: