Which European Colonial power treated their colonies the best and which the worst?s

Aug 2014
Portugal
In High School, I had the occasion to ask a Jewish guy why people are prejudiced against Jews.

He told me, in a "matter of fact" manner, that it is because so many Jews are clannish.

I had not known that. But I easily could believe it.
I am not criticizing you, of course, but I don't think a Jewish guy is the best person to answer that question, but a person with anti Jewish feelings.

Can you imagine that question in the context of Apartheid or even the Holocaust?

It is the offender who has to answer, not the victim.

Feb 2011
Scotland
I am not criticizing you, of course, but I don't think a Jewish guy is the best person to answer that question, but a person with anti Jewish feelings.

Can you imagine that question in the context of Apartheid or even the Holocaust?

I would agree- all the chap at school was saying was basically that he felt disliked simply for being different, being Jewish. It doesnt tell you much about the motivations of the persons who might exhibit dislike.

I must say however, that through my 56 + years of age, all spent in Britain, I personally have experienced virtually no antisemitism. I don't want to give the impression otherwise- Britain has been a wonderful place to live.

Mar 2012
In the bag of ecstatic squirt
So, by your reckoning, the only good Jew is an integrated Jew.
We exist in a whole spectrum of intergration, but clearly to your view a culturally recogniseable and practising Jew is a Bad Thing, clearly compared to Buddhists or Chinese Monks.

This paragraph:-

"What makes Jewish racism non abrasive was they were not in position to impose their will being in smaller number and were not fully equipped with weaponry in order to implement their racial prejudice against other people. If they were like the Spaniards or England of their time, who wielded political, economic and military power in their hands, maybe they won't be playing the victim cards, but rather they oppressors role. "

is simply unacceptable.

You are entitled to your views, but not to label any and every recognisable Jew as a racist, which you continue to do and in the terms you continue to employ. Accordingly I shall refer this thread to the moderators.
Nothing is being labelled as bad, but my only impression is why should an Orthodox Jew be rude or should look down on other people as provided in that article that I attached in my post as source, in contrast to the way Buddhist monks behave? It is a very honest pondering of a question if such "God chosen people" that is inculcated in their culture would create such supremacists psyche in them. Of course, the criticism made by other Jewish people over such social demeanor is not taken for granted, but, it is very evident on such social behavioral pattern that that Orthodox Jew have the feeling of supremacy and they are many in numbers coming from such ethnic group.

In that regard, there must be evident racist attitude that can be observed among those kinds of Jews who are loud of the way they manifest their faith publicly. On the basis of you calling them as culturally recognizable and practicing Jew, makes a conclusion that they must provide such racist impression towards other people.

Mar 2012

There is huge difference between the victims of Holocaust and the Apartheid. In the former were members of the elite society like doctors, lawyers, businessmen and bankers as examples of them. Of course not all the Jews were rich, but many of them were wealthy. The victims of Apartheid were generally unschooled tribesmen, poor members of the society and few who were able to take college education and lead their people to fight against white supremacists.

Among the Jews, they had the opportunity to be part of the society but choose not to be among them, but those victims of Apartheid, there were those who tried to assimilate but were simply rejected by reason of the color of the skin. Much difference in them, I submit.

Belgarion

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Australia
There is huge difference between the victims of Holocaust and the Apartheid. In the former were members of the elite society like doctors, lawyers, businessmen and bankers as examples of them. Of course not all the Jews were rich, but many of them were wealthy. The victims of Apartheid were generally unschooled tribesmen, poor members of the society and few who were able to take college education and lead their people to fight against white supremacists.

Among the Jews, they had the opportunity to be part of the society but choose not to be among them
, but those victims of Apartheid, there were those who tried to assimilate but were simply rejected by reason of the color of the skin. Much difference in them, I submit.
A statement very similar to those used to justify the treatment of Jews in Europe and other places, culminating in the mass murders by the Nazi regime. I'm sure that's not what you mean dagul, however you may want to be a little clearer about what you are saying.

Mar 2012
A statement very similar to those used to justify the treatment of Jews in Europe and other places, culminating in the mass murders by the Nazi regime. I'm sure that's not what you mean dagul, however you may want to be a little clearer about what you are saying.
When the Germans, the Irish, the British, the Spaniards and the Dutch went to the New World and immigrated to the US, all of them simply became citizens of the US. They also had there organizations as immigrants but the Jews had their communities there which was exclusive of them. For sure the Apartheid victims or African Americans had that too, but it was forced upon them. The Jews to my impression were not segregated due to skin color, but they simply choose not to be among the average citizens within the nation.

Aug 2014
Portugal
When the Germans, the Irish, the British, the Spaniards and the Dutch went to the New World and immigrated to the US, all of them simply became citizens of the US. They also had there organizations as immigrants but the Jews had their communities there which was exclusive of them. For sure the Apartheid victims or African Americans had that too, but it was forced upon them. The Jews to my impression were not segregated due to skin color, but they simply choose not to be among the average citizens within the nation.
The Apartheid and the Holocaust were both forced upon their victims.

Jews had the opportunity to be part of the society in Germany, and they were part of the society. The Holocaust was not caused by Jewish self segregation.

As far as I know the Jewish community in America is well integrated in society and most are simply citizens of their countries and not self segregated.

Mar 2012
The Apartheid and the Holocaust were both forced upon their victims.

Jews had the opportunity to be part of the society in Germany, and they were part of the society. The Holocaust was not caused by Jewish self segregation.

As far as I know the Jewish community in America is well integrated in society and most are simply citizens of their countries and not self segregated.
Much as I like to discuss some more about my thoughts, but, I feel I will be very impolite of the plight of the Jews. I agree with you that Holocaust was not caused by Jewish self segregation.

Feb 2012
Portugal

I'm under the impression this is not true. The Irish suffered discrimination like the Jews. In fact Catholics suffered discrimination. Catholics didn't adapt like you say giving up their religion and traditions to be accepted.

Mar 2012
Yôḥānān;2727922 said:
I'm under the impression this is not true. The Irish suffered discrimination like the Jews. In fact Catholics suffered discrimination. Catholics didn't adapt like you say giving up their religion and traditions to be accepted.
Was the degree the Catholics suffered the same as the Jews?