Which European Colonial power treated their colonies the best and which the worst?s

Nov 2013
Olisipo
I find it funny that in the article they see this as a threat, talking about as a thing to stop, when the indian community is one of the most and best integrated in the economial and political panorama of the UK. And as a bonus Many Goans are Christians :) Here in Portugal they are a well intentioned and integrated community.

Unfortunately the MSM and other opponents of Brexit will manipulate the truth in order to discredit the people decision. This includes reporting a non existent upsurge in racially motivated violence.

Sky Poll Alleging Britain Is 'More Racist, Less Happy' Is Flawed
There is no specific interest to Portuguese authorities or portuguese media in making in sort of propaganda about post brexit racism, on the contrary the portuguese government is actually studying ways to atract investors that might want to leave the UK to mantain EU benefits. The sources mentioned are true and they speak of real situations, although we of course shouldn't generalize to all emigrants or to all british. There might have been some cases of post brexit referendum racism provocations or even attacks but they are clearly a minority, they just got a little more publicity.

Aug 2014
Portugal
There is no specific interest to Portuguese authorities or portuguese media in making in sort of propaganda about post brexit racism, on the contrary the portuguese government is actually studying ways to atract investors that might want to leave the UK to mantain EU benefits. The sources mentioned are true and they speak of real situations, although we of course shouldn't generalize to all emigrants or to all british.
In my opinion there is some "hysteria" about brexit in the Media and maybe in EU elites, trying to make us believe Brexit means UK will become North Korea or something like Alan Moore "V for Vendetta".

In Portugal it seems the "far" Left is the most vocal in accepting the right to leave the EU and the Democratic vote in the UK.

There might have been some cases of post brexit referendum racism provocations or even attacks but they are clearly a minority, they just got a little more publicity.
I also think this is the case.

Feb 2012
Portugal
on the contrary the portuguese government is actually studying ways to atract investors that might want to leave the UK to mantain EU benefits. The sources mentioned are true and they speak of real situations, although we of course shouldn't generalize to all emigrants or to all british.
I'm under the impression that's more political propaganda than anything else. Even when Portuguese policy makers know what to do economically they are usually unable to implement it. After kicking the young and brain power off the country they will probably have to settle to make Portugal the European retirement home. Maybe they are able to convince some UK based company to come here and make a big banner out of it.

Last edited:
Mar 2012
In the bag of ecstatic squirt
Unfortunately the MSM and other opponents of Brexit will manipulate the truth in order to discredit the people decision. This includes reporting a non existent upsurge in racially motivated violence.

Sky Poll Alleging Britain Is 'More Racist, Less Happy' Is Flawed
I agree of this, while it is true that historically ultra racism happened in the British Empire, but the laws that were passed in the British Parliament that created more tolerant society won't create such scenario.

... anyone who dislike the Briexit shall just criticize of such decision to be racist in view of the issue over immigration among others.

May 2017
United States of America
all i can say is belgium treated there colonies the worst, i feel there is little argument. If you want to know what i mean just look into the history of the congo colony.

robto

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
Lisbon, Portugal
all i can say is belgium treated there colonies the worst, i feel there is little argument. If you want to know what i mean just look into the history of the congo colony.
And as I said earlier, how the history of the Congo colony is any worse than the history of some native American peoples that felt the catastrophic event of the earlier Spanish colonization; the history of famines in British India; the annihilation of the Tasmanian aborigines; the piracy and aggression of the Portuguese and Dutch merchants in the Indian Ocean (the Dutch and Portuguese genocided some Island communities); The late Ottoman genocide of minority Christian ethnic groups; or the German genocide of the Hereros in Namibia?