Which european countries have had the greatest historic influence by specific fields?

Jan 2017
Italy, EU
☆Science : 1)Uk 2)Germany 3)Italy 4)France 5)Russia

☆Art*: 1)Italy 2)France 3)Greece 4)Spain 5)Netherlands

☆Philosophy: 1)Germany 2)Greece 3)France 4)Italy 5)Netherlands

☆Literature: 1)France 2)Uk 3)Greece 4)Italy 5)Russia

☆Music: 1)Germany 2)Italy 3)Austria 4)France 5)Russia

☆Economy: 1)UK 2)Germany 3)Italy 4)Belgium/Netherlands 5)Spain/Portugal

☆Law: 1)Itay 2)Uk 3)France 4)Germany 5)Switzerland

☆Military: 1)Uk/France 2)Russia 3)Germany/Italy 4)Turkey 5)Spain/Portugal

☆Politics/Diplomacy: 1)Greece 2)Uk/France/Italy 3)Germany/Russia

*Painting/Sculpture/Architecture

Feel free to ask me anything and change my mind about this list. Notice that achievememts of former states (castille, prussia, athens, rome) are balanced with that of current nations (Spain, Germany, Greece, Italy) except for where it would not make any sense (e.g. byzantine empire for Turkey).

Also I gave five countries per field, but it would be ok can also to give just one country per field or instead concentrate on a single field.

Jan 2017
Durham

Feel free to ask me anything and change my mind about this list. Notice that achievememts of former states (castille, prussia, athens, rome) are balanced with that of current nations (Spain, Germany, Greece, Italy) except for where it would not make any sense (e.g. byzantine empire for Turkey).

Also I gave five countries per field, but it would be ok can also to give just one country per field or instead concentrate on a single field.
Surprised you ranked 'the UK' so high in terms of military but not included in terms of philosophy.

May 2018
Ramgarh

I would change military to Russia first. They were the main cause of Napoleon's defeat, and Hitlers defeat.

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
☆Science : 1)Uk 2)Germany 3)Italy 4)France 5)Russia 
The UK needs ro be on that list, more than F;rance or Italy. Issac Newton, Maxell, Faraday, Davies, Harvey, Kelvin, Darwin, and a host of others.


☆Philosophy: 1)Germany 2)Greece 3)France 4)Italy 5)Netherlands 
Again, UK needs ro be on tnat list, much more than Italy, Netherlands, and even Germany and France. Locke, _Hume, Berkley, Hobbs, and many others. The turgid German pnilosophers may have a good reputation among scholars, but the British philosophers had much greater real world impact, greatly influence governments.


☆Literature: 1)France 2)Uk 3)Greece 4)Italy 5)Russia 
UK had more influential than France in literature in my view. The plays of Snakespeare are more widely performed than any French playwright, even outside the English speaking world, for example.





☆Politics/Diplomacy: 1)Greece 2)Uk/France/Italy 3)Germany/Russia 
Ok, I won't quibble over specific rankings.



I question you exclusion of UK on a number of the items. Italy may have produced Galileo, but Newton is as great.

Last edited:

Pendennis

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
Kirkcaldy, Scotland
Renaissance Roman- your list is spectacularly incomplete ad inaccurate-any list of interntional countries who have had a global influeence that does not include Scotlandf is a total and complete bummer..
You'll be hard pushed to find a field of human endeavour where Scots have not distingushed themselves ni globally influencing the rest of the world.
For starters the Bible of modern capitalism whose principles still govern modern economics -'AN ENQUIRY INTO THE WEALTH OF NATIONS' still governs economic behaviour globally .I was written by Kirkcaldy, Scotland man ADAM SMITH
Every NEW YEAR'S EVE millions globally sing AULD LANG SYNE' penned by Scotland's national poet Robert Burns.
In philosophy David Hume is an international giant and has bee since the 18th century as is John Duns Scotus .
Ad millions globally drink Scotch whiskey. while Scots engineeres have designed and built everyting from the iconic bridge in Budapest, Hungary which connected Buda and Pest to the iconic church in Philadelphia PA near where the Declaration of Independence was signed in 1776.
Scots maths genius Napiers ' logarithms invention were an integral part of modern math education.
In literasture Sir Walter Scott Robert Louis Stevenson and Robert burns stand out.
Penecillin discovered by Scotsman Alexander Fleming is another example.

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
Renaissance Roman- your list is spectacularly incomplete ad inaccurate-any list of interntional countries who have had a global influeence that does not include Scotlandf is a total and complete bummer..
You'll be hard pushed to find a field of human endeavour where Scots have not distingushed themselves ni globally influencing the rest of the world.
For starters the Bible of modern capitalism whose principles still govern modern economics -'AN ENQUIRY INTO THE WEALTH OF NATIONS' still governs economic behaviour globally .I was written by Kirkcaldy, Scotland man ADAM SMITH
Every NEW YEAR'S EVE millions globally sing AULD LANG SYNE' penned by Scotland's national poet Robert Burns.
In philosophy David Hume is an international giant and has bee since the 18th century as is John Duns Scotus .
Ad millions globally drink Scotch whiskey. while Scots engineeres have designed and built everyting from the iconic bridge in Budapest, Hungary which connected Buda and Pest to the iconic church in Philadelphia PA near where the Declaration of Independence was signed in 1776.
Scots maths genius Napiers ' logarithms invention were an integral part of modern math education.
In literasture Sir Walter Scott Robert Louis Stevenson and Robert burns stand out.
I hate to bring the terrible news to you, but they are being grouped under UK. But hey designing a bridge that was built near the place the Americans signed a document is clearly a major accomplishment.

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
I'd remove the Netherlands from the philosophy field, aside of Spinoza, their countribution is not impressive.

Instead, I'll put UK on the group, ahead of Italy.
Dunno depends on how you calculate. A chap like Balthasar Bekker may not have been on a par with Plato philosophically speaking, but his influence on ending the witch hunts was huge. Same goes for Erasmus. Plus Confucius was Dutch.

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
I would assume the UK (United Kingdom) would include Scotland, Wales, and Ireland as well as England. He just didn't split out England, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland separately.

But Scottish philosophers like Hume is why I complained that the UK was not on the list.