Which European country has the most castles? Most fascinating?

May 2012
Jajce
Here are some photos of another Bosnian castle Gornji Srebrenik
Varak (alaprajzok, rajzok=layouts/plans, drawings, történelem=history, térképek=maps + click on the red arrows on the castle plans for pictures)

This site is dedicated to the castles, forts and fortified churches (all together 1345 according to the GPS list) of the Hungarian kingdom with several photos, the most complete database i know about it.

Varak

if you click on the country map on the front page, an interactive map will pop out that makes easier to check out the various castles. Unfortunetly many of them are in a very damaged condition and what i hate even more are the 18th-19th century additions that totally kill the medieval feeling. But there are still some nice ones too.
How to find the bonsian castles?

clement

Ad Honorem
Jun 2011
California, USA
I don't which country is the best in this regad, but maybe it is better to post pictures of our own to share them with other users (who will be free to judge).
Lots of Castles in southern France too (Louis IX built a huge network of fortresses to guard the frontier with spain and English territories in the southwest). ALl of them are medieval but some have been more and less heavily modified during the Renaissance :

Brittany has amazing castles too. I'll select three of them :

Nantes :

Vitré :

Fougères :

Near Paris and in picardy, these two castles have been rebuilt as they were in the middle ages but with some modifications in the case of the latter (especially the roofs on the towers) :

Normandy also has a lot of castles but they are rather dull, so my last regional selection will be Alsace, in eastern France. The Germanic influence is clearly present :

Last edited:

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
I don't think that Srebrenik exists apart from a few bad ruins anymore.

Its not that bad actually... even in ruins impressive

and have more authentic feeling, you can really imagine the bloody wars that could happen there. We in Central-Eastern Europe and the Balkans were not as lucky as the Western Europeans in the last hunderd years, our buildings have also more scares..

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
Some castles from the former Hungarian Kingdom:

Törcsvár-Bran, now in Romania, the historical "Dracula castle"

Árva-Orava now Slovakia

Vajdahunyad-Hunedoara, now in Romania, Janos Hunyadi's castle

Fraknó-Forchenstein now Austria

Csejte-Cachtice, now in Slovakia, its very ruined but this was the castle of Erzsébet/Elisabeth Báthori

Visegrád lower and upper castle, used to be a famous reniassance royal residence, still in Hungary

Krasznahorka-Krásna Hôrka in Slovakia

Diósgyőr-still Hungary

Sümeg-Hungary

Gyula-Hungary

Tata-Hungary

The small castle of Kőszeg (still Hungary) but that actually stopped a 80-100,000 large army and saved Vienna in 1532

Esztergom castle-Hungary, also witnessed some sieges during Ottoman wars and became memorized in a janissary military song,

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1dmjSX_Y0I&feature=related"]Mehter - Estergon Kalesi - YouTube[/ame]

Munkács-Mukachevo now in Ukraine

Last edited:

pnoozi

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
New York
I don't mean to be a grammar nazi, but

ONES
ITS

Jesus Christ people come on.

On topic...

I've always been impressed with castles and stone structures the older they are, as well as the ones built in the Middle East.

May 2012
Jajce
Its not that bad actually... even in ruins impressive

and have more authentic feeling, you can really imagine the bloody wars that could happen there. We in Central-Eastern Europe and the Balkans were not as lucky as the Western Europeans in the last hunderd years, our buildings have also more scares..
It would be nice when our government would renew all our castles. for example in Stolac we have fortifications:

But in Ruins

Similar History Discussions