Which European country has the most castles? Most fascinating?

May 2012
Jajce
Zdravo, BH; thanks for sharing with us so many splendid pics in your first posts here.
Thank you very much. As many of you, the Medieval period interests me HUGELY and I wish I could have lived then. Anywhom, any information about Bosnia, ask me!

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
yes, i heard it also, but as i saw on pictures only the wooden roof parts burned down so i hope they will be able to renovate it fully.

After the fire

Apr 2010
Slovakia
yes, i heard it also, but as i saw on pictures only the wooden roof parts burned down so i hope they will be able to renovate it fully.
It was set afire just as it finished renovation. Roof is not a problem, problem is that valuable expositions inside got damaged. I do not know however to what extend.

That is horrible behaviour :(
They most probably did not intend to burn the castle, probably were just playing with fire. Not that it excuse such behaviour.

M.E.T.H.O.D.

Ad Honorem
Aug 2011
Gaillimh (Ireland)
The Italian region of Valle d'Aosta has a good amount of castles:

Ussel Castle

Fenis Castle

Sarriod de la Tour Castle

Savoia Castle(not really my style)

Apr 2012
I concur! I adore this castle and would LOVE to visit. Even just looking at it from the outside is amazing!
I went to Neuchwanstein this past December, and it was beautiful, especially in the snow! Not only was the exterior of the castle fairytale-esque, but the interior was equally as enchanting. To bad the facade of the castle was under restoration work. Scaffolding was blocking the castle itself.

Europe, in general, has the most spectacular castles. From Britain to France to Eastern and Souther Europe, each castle has its own unique style and beauty.

Aug 2011
They most probably did not intend to burn the castle, probably were just playing with fire. Not that it excuse such behaviour.

Actually, those fools were smoking and then they threw burning cigarettes in the nearby bush. In my opinion this kind of behavior is inexcusable, priceless heritage has been destroyed only because of someones stupidity.

May 2012
Jajce
Actually, those fools were smoking and then they threw burning cigarettes in the nearby bush. In my opinion this kind of behavior is inexcusable, priceless heritage has been destroyed only because of someones stupidity.
Imagine if something like that was to happen to Veliki Tabor or Trakoscan :deadhorse:

Feb 2019
Germany
Hi everybody, this is a really interesting and exciting topic for lovers of medieval constructions.

I have read many comments stating that the largest number of castles by extension was in Wales and others, but have not provided data.

The country with the highest number of total castles and the one with the most castles per square miles is not so easy to say, it's a mystery. The answer is Germany or Spain.

Spain has about 20,000 (Wales has about 600) and Germany between 20000 and 25000.

The point of the matter is that in Germany many manor houses and palaces have been counted as if they were castles, and the question is: what is a castle?

There is a division of opinions, since for some a castle is a medieval building with a tower (which is more abundant in Germany), and for others it has to be a fortress with walls and beacons (what is most abundant in Spain) .

I find it difficult to reach a consensus, but undoubtedly the answer lies between Germany and Spain.

regards

PS: In antiquity the majority of Spain was known as "Castilla", which means "land of castles".

Last edited: