Which female heads of state were present on the battlefield

Apr 2019
India
You omitted Rani Laxmibai of Jhansi, who fought bravely against the British general Sir Hugh Rose in India's first war of Independence 1857-58. She was killed on the battlefield when riding her horse and surrounded by four British cavalrymen, but not before the siege of Jhansi fort was successfully defended by her for a long time.
I ommited her name because it has been alreamentioned.

Apr 2019
India
You omitted Rani Laxmibai of Jhansi, who fought bravely against the British general Sir Hugh Rose in India's first war of Independence 1857-58. She was killed on the battlefield when riding her horse and surrounded by four British cavalrymen, but not before the siege of Jhansi fort was successfully defended by her for a long time.
I ommited her name because it has been already mentioned.

Jan 2016
United States, MO
These ladies were head of their state but did they actually wielded the weapons in the battlefield?
The accounts don’t record if they held weapons, but they commanded armies in battle and the history of Liao records that it was custom for many Kitan women to be adept at shooting and riding, and it provides these two empresses as examples, so I would assume that they likely had some skill with weapons.

Oct 2009
Behind a screen
the trung sisters of Vietnam , kicked Chinese troops in a personal and insistent manner
regarded as national heroines to this day
A lot of the people in their Army were women too.

Also, Nzinga from Angola

Not ruling head of state, but the daughter of the first Tang Emperor of China: Princess Pingyang

Matilda of Boulogne, ruling Countess of Boulogne and Queen of England. She is often forgotten in history, even though she was highly capable and saved her husband's ass. Note that I am not talking about the Empress Matilda, but about Stephen's wife.

According to legend, the Candace of Kush lined her battle troups up in such a way that Alexander the Great looked at them, saw it was too dangerous and moved on.

Last edited:
Mar 2018
United States Of America
- Isabella 1 Of Castile was often on military campaigns (Katherine Of Aragon was born on during one of them),
- Mary Queen Of Scotland,
- Elizabeth 1,
- Katherine Of Aragon was involved in the war with the Scottish at the start Of Henry 8's reign

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
with Henry VIII absent on a continental campaign , Catherine of Aragon was on the war council before the battle of Flodden , advocating offense
she exhorted the troops with such a success that they overwhelmed the superior force of the Scots in the worst defeat they suffered
reputedly wanting to send the head of their dead king to Henry as a token of their victory

Similar History Discussions