Which German leader was worse/caused Germany more damage: Wilhelm II or Adolf Hitler?

Worse German leader?

• Wilhelm II

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Adolf Hitler

Votes: 15 88.2%

• Total voters

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Well, I'm probably going to do a little psychological projection with this remark, BUT, I'd say Catholics of the 1890s had a generally high level of respect for the Habsburgs and would have not imagined Austria being incorporated into the holdings of the Lutheran Hohenzollerns. The oldest part of the population were children when Francis had to surrender the title of HRE, you know? A lot of respect for tradition in the Catholic mindset, of course, for others reading this, YMMV (your mileage may vary).
I think that I get it. If a Greater Germany was going to come about, German Catholics felt that it was unfair that this state would have a Protestant King given the likely Catholic majority of this state, correct?

In turn, this would be why the Hohenzollerns had to fall before there could be a serious push to incorporate Austria into Germany.

Dec 2011
Iowa USA
I think that I get it. If a Greater Germany was going to come about, German Catholics felt that it was unfair that this state would have a Protestant King given the likely Catholic majority of this state, correct?

In turn, this would be why the Hohenzollerns had to fall before there could be a serious push to incorporate Austria into Germany.

I will defer to your knowledge of censuses on the question of the prospective minority, or majority, of Catholics in that Greater German Empire but yes in essentials. Bismarck had a low opinion of the Catholic Church, as I suppose did Wilhelm I. Wilhelm II had plenty of faults, but he was nowhere near Bismarck's level with respect to religious bigotry.

Last edited:

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I will defer to your knowledge of censuses on the question of the prospective minority, or majority, of Catholics in that Greater German Empire but yes in essentials. Bismarck had a low opinion of the Catholic Church, as I suppose did Wilhelm I. Wilhelm II had plenty of faults, but he was nowhere near Bismarck's level with respect to religious bigotry.
The demographics part was based on the assumption that Germany would also annex Czechia in addition to German Austria.

Also, Yes, it does appear that Wilhelm II pursued a wiser strategy in regards to Catholics. The Kulturkampf was completely unnecessary, IMHO.

MAGolding

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
Obviously Hitler's policies resulted in Germany suffering worse in World War II than Kaiser Wilhelm II's policies caused Germany to suffer in WWI.

However, one could say that since Wilhelm II was before Hitler, Wilhelm II's policies made Hitler possible, and thus than Wilhelm II's policies caused both WWI and WWII, and thus caused all of Germany's suffering in both the world wars. And thus one could say that because Bismark was before Wilhelm II and Hitler, Bismark caused all German disasters and suffering in WWI and WWII, and so on back through history to unknown cavemen hundreds of thousands of years ago..

If one argues that making future leaders and events possible also makes them inevitable, and thus that the responsibility for our mistakes and disasters really rests on cavemen who lived countless thousands of generations ago and thus we should not be blamed.

Similar History Discussions