Which heads of state had extremely funny (full) titles?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Which heads of state had extremely funny (full) titles? For instance, can any head of state beat Idi Amin's (full) title? :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idi_A...C_self-bestowed_titles.2C_and_media_portrayal

"His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi Amin Dada, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular."

Aug 2012
Which heads of state had extremely funny (full) titles? For instance, can any head of state beat Idi Amin's (full) title? :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idi_A...C_self-bestowed_titles.2C_and_media_portrayal

"His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi Amin Dada, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular."
I don't think so. Idi Amin was a monster, but he was hilarious. The guy was so silly. It's actually kind of scary that he made it into office.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I don't think so. Idi Amin was a monster, but he was hilarious. The guy was so silly. It's actually kind of scary that he made it into office.
Frankly, for all I know, his "I do whatever I like" attitude might have impressed and/or shocked enough other people for him to come to office. ;)

Dec 2012
Dublin
Check out Queen Elizabeth II. Currently she is unofficially the ....

Lord of Mann (Isle of Man)
Duke of Normandy (Guernsey)
Missis Queen (Jamaica)
Mother of All People (British Columbia)
The White Heron (New Zealand)

If you think that is funny her official titles are even funnier ...she is:

Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith. Note 'by the grace of God'.

The man himself has appointed her queen and, if that isn't funny in this day and age, then I don't know what is! The 39 Articles of the Church of England describe the her as

'being by God's Ordinance, according to Our just Title, Defender of the Faith and ... Supreme Governor of the Church of England'.

So by God's grace also she is 'Defender of the Faith'! That is even funnier. She doesn't do any faith defending that I know of and her position as Head of the Church is an empty formality. Her other official titles include ...

Lord High Admiral of the Royal Navy
Commander in Chief of the British Armed Forces

If no executive power or force is associated with these titles they are as empty and silly as Idi Amin's Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas.

The OP seems to want a laugh at the expense of others. I just want to bring a little perspective and context to the issue. It is all a matter of perspective.

Last edited:
Mar 2014
Beneath a cold sun, a grey sun, a Heretic sun...
It's only humour is in its tediousness, but it wouldn't do to leave anyone out. I like the catch-all at the end... Mehmed II:

Sultan Mehmed Khan, Sovereign of the House of Osman, Sultan of Sultans, Khan of Khans, Commander of the Faithful and Successor of the Prophet of the Lord of the Universe, Protector of the Holy Cities of Mecca, Medina and Jerusalem, Emperor of The Three Cities of Constantinople, Andrinopole and Bursa, and of the Cities of Damascus and Cairo, of all Azerbaijan, of the Magris, of Barka, of Kairuan, of Aleppo, of Arabic Iraq and of Ajim, of Basra, of El Hasa, of Dilen, of Raka, of Mosul, of Parthia, of Diyarbakır, of Cicilia, of the Vilayets of Erzurum, of Sivas, of Adana, of Karaman, Van, of Barbary, of Abyssinia, of Tunisia, of Tripoli, of Damascus, of Cyprus, of Rhodes, of Candia, of the Vilayet of the Morea, of the Marmara Sea, the Black Sea and also its coasts, of Anatolia, of Rumelia, Baghdad, Kurdistan, Greece, Turkistan, Tartary, Circassia, of the two regions of Kabarda, of Georgia, of the plain of Kypshak, of the whole country of the Tartars, of Kefa and of all the neighbouring countries, of Bosnia and its dependencies, of the City and Fort of Belgrade, of the Vilayet of Serbia, with all the castles, forts and cities, of all Albania, of all Iflak and Bogdania, as well as all the dependencies and borders, and many other countries and cities.

chimera

Ad Honorem
Feb 2013
australia
can't beat that one, but this chap has the sedge and the bee as well:
The full titulary of Eighteenth Dynasty pharaoh Thutmose III,
, "Horus Mighty Bull, Arising in Thebes"
, "He of the Two Ladies, Enduring in kingship like Re in heaven"
, "Horus of Gold Powerful of strength, Sacred of appearance"
, "He of the Sedge and the Bee, Enduring of form is Re"
, "Son of Ra, Thutmose, beautiful of forms".

Henry IV in England owned France, and Henry VI asked could he please have it and George III said it was his until the French dumped it.

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
The most humorous use of royal titles, or rather the mockery of them, was supposedly by the Cossacks in reply to a Turkish Sultan. The story itself is probably apocryphal, but it is hilarious nonetheless.

"Sultan Mehmed IV to the Zaporozhian Cossacks:

As the Sultan; son of Muhammad; brother of the sun and moon; grandson and viceroy of God; ruler of the kingdoms of Macedonia, Babylon, Jerusalem, Upper and Lower Egypt; emperor of emperors; sovereign of sovereigns; extraordinary knight, never defeated; steadfast guardian of the tomb of Jesus Christ; trustee chosen by God Himself; the hope and comfort of Muslims; confounder and great defender of Christians - I command you, the Zaporozhian Cossacks, to submit to me voluntarily and without any resistance, and to desist from troubling me with your attacks.

--Sultan Mehmed IV"

"The Kozaks of the Dnieper to the Sultan of Turkey:

Thou Turkish Satan, brother and companion to the accursed Devil, and companion to Lucifer himself, Greetings!

What the hell kind of noble knight art thou? The Devil voids, and thy army devours. Never wilt thou be fit to have the sons of Christ under thee: thy army we fear not, and by land and on sea we will do battle against thee.

Thou scullion of Babylon, thou wheelwright of Macedonia, thou beer-brewer of Jerusalem, thou goat-flayer of Alexandria, thou swineherd of Egypt, both the Greater and the Lesser, thou sow of Armenia, thou goat of Tartary, thou hangman of Kamenetz, thou evildoer of Podoliansk, thou grandson of the Devil himself, thou great silly oaf of all the world and of the netherworld and, before our God, a blockhead, a swine's snout, a mare's arse, a butcher's cur, an unbaptized brow, May the Devil take thee! That is what the Kozaks have to say to thee, thou basest-born of runts! Unfit art thou to lord it over true Christians!

The date we write not for no calendar have we got; the moon is in the sky, the year is in a book, and the day is the same with us here as with thee over there, and thou canst kiss us thou knowest where!

- Koshovyi Otaman Ivan Sirko, with the whole Zaporozhian Host."

True or not, the story did produce a great painting.

Reply of the Zaporozhian Cossacks by Ilya Repin, 1891

Nov 2010
Cornwall

and King of Scotland of course. He'd be funny if he didn't affect so many people's lives!

Mar 2014
Canterbury
Fath-Ali Shah Qajar - a shah of Persia in the early 19th century - added 'most formidable lord and master of the Encyclopædia Britannica' to his full title. He was generally very pompous, spending a fortune on new, elaborately-named coronation chairs and regalia.

Last edited:
Aug 2013
South Korea
He was not the head of a state, but a French count by the name of Girard de Pounjacques.

His name transliterates to "지라르 드 풍쟈크" in Korean and when pronounced in the Korean tongue the name sounds amazingly similarly to an insult, which literally translates as "a bountiful harvest of bullsh**".

Similar History Discussions