Which heads of state had extremely funny (full) titles?

Feb 2015
washington
It's only humour is in its tediousness, but it wouldn't do to leave anyone out. I like the catch-all at the end... Mehmed II:

Sultan Mehmed Khan, Sovereign of the House of Osman, Sultan of Sultans, Khan of Khans, Commander of the Faithful and Successor of the Prophet of the Lord of the Universe, Protector of the Holy Cities of Mecca, Medina and Jerusalem, Emperor of The Three Cities of Constantinople, Andrinopole and Bursa, and of the Cities of Damascus and Cairo, of all Azerbaijan, of the Magris, of Barka, of Kairuan, of Aleppo, of Arabic Iraq and of Ajim, of Basra, of El Hasa, of Dilen, of Raka, of Mosul, of Parthia, of Diyarbakır, of Cicilia, of the Vilayets of Erzurum, of Sivas, of Adana, of Karaman, Van, of Barbary, of Abyssinia, of Tunisia, of Tripoli, of Damascus, of Cyprus, of Rhodes, of Candia, of the Vilayet of the Morea, of the Marmara Sea, the Black Sea and also its coasts, of Anatolia, of Rumelia, Baghdad, Kurdistan, Greece, Turkistan, Tartary, Circassia, of the two regions of Kabarda, of Georgia, of the plain of Kypshak, of the whole country of the Tartars, of Kefa and of all the neighbouring countries, of Bosnia and its dependencies, of the City and Fort of Belgrade, of the Vilayet of Serbia, with all the castles, forts and cities, of all Albania, of all Iflak and Bogdania, as well as all the dependencies and borders, and many other countries and cities.
Are you sure that was Mehmed II? The ottomans did not possess Baghdad, cyprus, damascus, or belgrade during his reign.

notgivenaway

Ad Honorem
Jun 2015
UK
Check out Queen Elizabeth II. Currently she is unofficially the ....

Lord of Mann (Isle of Man)
Duke of Normandy (Guernsey)
Missis Queen (Jamaica)
Mother of All People (British Columbia)
The White Heron (New Zealand)

If you think that is funny her official titles are even funnier ...she is:

Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith. Note 'by the grace of God'.

The man himself has appointed her queen and, if that isn't funny in this day and age, then I don't know what is! The 39 Articles of the Church of England describe the her as

'being by God's Ordinance, according to Our just Title, Defender of the Faith and ... Supreme Governor of the Church of England'.

So by God's grace also she is 'Defender of the Faith'! That is even funnier. She doesn't do any faith defending that I know of and her position as Head of the Church is an empty formality. Her other official titles include ...

Lord High Admiral of the Royal Navy
Commander in Chief of the British Armed Forces

If no executive power or force is associated with these titles they are as empty and silly as Idi Amin's Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas.

The OP seems to want a laugh at the expense of others. I just want to bring a little perspective and context to the issue. It is all a matter of perspective.
Considering the UK monarchy used to literally be designated from God (at least some monarchs said as such), I don't see how by the Grace of God is so silly. And one of her distant ancestors founded the Church of England, and most of her ancestors directly commanded the armed forces. These aren't just empty labels, but with sound historical context since any British sovereign reigns but does not rule. It's just how our constitution works.

Last edited:

chimera

Ad Honorem
Feb 2013
australia
Then if the Empire ruled the waves, it's not so silly to sing that today?
There was divine right so it's OK today?

"When the decision to keep television cameras away from the Abbey was announced in October 1952, there were immediate protests from the BBC (which had a TV monopoly in those days) and clear disappointment from the public.
The Queen gave way, insisting only that there should be no close-ups of her face at the most sacred moments of all – when she was anointed and took Communion. She wanted her moments with God to remain unseen by the world."
-------
Goodoh, faith is fine but it's a bit wobbly to put things that way.

notgivenaway

Ad Honorem
Jun 2015
UK

"When the decision to keep television cameras away from the Abbey was announced in October 1952, there were immediate protests from the BBC (which had a TV monopoly in those days) and clear disappointment from the public.
The Queen gave way, insisting only that there should be no close-ups of her face at the most sacred moments of all – when she was anointed and took Communion. She wanted her moments with God to remain unseen by the world."
-------
I say yes. Nothing wrong with tradition, and/or titles that represent past realities or remind us of such. You mentioned that the Queen's official style was stupid. I'm saying I disagree, I see little wrong with it and it's also constitutional reality. She may not actively lead troops, but then it's just how it evolved.

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral

-------
As far as I'm aware - well I've read it somewhere - HMTQ is a committed Christian.

Tuthmosis III

Ad Honorem
Oct 2011
the middle ground
can't beat that one, but this chap has the sedge and the bee as well:
The full titulary of Eighteenth Dynasty pharaoh Thutmose III,
, "Horus Mighty Bull, Arising in Thebes"
, "He of the Two Ladies, Enduring in kingship like Re in heaven"
, "Horus of Gold Powerful of strength, Sacred of appearance"
, "He of the Sedge and the Bee, Enduring of form is Re"
, "Son of Ra, Thutmose, beautiful of forms".
What's so 'funny' about that?!?

"GUARDS!!"

:D

Sep 2015
An unpleasant place
Check out Queen Elizabeth II. Currently she is unofficially the ....

Lord of Mann (Isle of Man)
Duke of Normandy (Guernsey)
Missis Queen (Jamaica)
Mother of All People (British Columbia)
The White Heron (New Zealand)

If you think that is funny her official titles are even funnier ...she is:

Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith. Note 'by the grace of God'.

The man himself has appointed her queen and, if that isn't funny in this day and age, then I don't know what is! The 39 Articles of the Church of England describe the her as

'being by God's Ordinance, according to Our just Title, Defender of the Faith and ... Supreme Governor of the Church of England'.

So by God's grace also she is 'Defender of the Faith'! That is even funnier. She doesn't do any faith defending that I know of and her position as Head of the Church is an empty formality. Her other official titles include ...

Lord High Admiral of the Royal Navy
Commander in Chief of the British Armed Forces

If no executive power or force is associated with these titles they are as empty and silly as Idi Amin's Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas.

The OP seems to want a laugh at the expense of others. I just want to bring a little perspective and context to the issue. It is all a matter of perspective.
The funniest part is that the faith referenced by the title "Defender of the faith" is Catholicism. The title was given to Henry VIII by the pope (of course, this was before Henry abandoned the church), and every English monarch ahs had the title since.

chimera

Ad Honorem
Feb 2013
australia
. She may not actively lead troops, but then it's just how it evolved.
It's quite nice to have a lady in charge, the salute came from tournament knights raising the armoured fist to the girl watching him bash another chap in a tin can. Or a steel battleship. The favoured lady ruled the waves which is not funny.

Last edited: