Which historical person would you like to drink a beer with?

Nov 2014
Birmingham, UK
apparently in his later years Ataturk used to escape his minders and the Palace, and they would find him a couple of hours later getting drunk and singing dirty songs with fishermen in some taverna or other. it always made me want to have a drink with him.

Jul 2019
Pale Blue Dot - Moonshine Quadrant
Arthur Guinness of Guinness ale fame.

On December 31, 1759, he signed a 9,000 year lease at £45 per annum for the unused St. James's Gate Brewery in Dublin.

Optimism is a great thing and I would just love to know the inside details on a 9,000 year lease. Since it New Years Eve I have always wondered if they were imbibing at the time.

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Haha! Look at her face... I suspect she'd drink you under the table. ;)
She was violently opposed to alcohol and was a leader of the temperance movement to get prohibition passed in the US. She attacked bars with her hatchet. I would get her drunk with vodka and lemon juice. That would ruin her career and save the country from prohibition.:cool:

BTW whenever you see an old person, you have to remember they were once young. However with Carrie Nation, I have to believe she always looked like this.:eek:

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
She was violently opposed to alcohol and was a leader of the temperance movement to get prohibition passed in the US. She attacked bars with her hatchet. I would get her drunk with vodka and lemon juice. That would ruin her career and save the country from prohibition.:cool:
Good, you liquor her up... maybe tell her it's Vitamin Water. :lol:

I personally think she had less of an issue with booze and more of an issue with working men going to bars, spending their wages to get drunk and coming home to abuse their families... and instead of seeing a problem in human nature, she saw the problem as being rooted in the consumption of alcohol. I wouldn't be shocked if she drank alcohol herself, as most people seemed to think it had medicinal qualities (all the stories about recommending of certain types of beer or liquor for someone frail or sick in the 1800's...). Her problem was probably less to do with alcohol and more to do with society... or her own sad life and bad marriage.

BTW whenever you see an old person, you have to remember they were once young. However with Carrie Nation, I have to believe she always looked like this.:eek:
I think you're right! LOL!

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Hmmm... I'd probably choose Thomas Jefferson and James Madison, simply because I think the conversation would be so scintillating. They both drank quite a bit (and Jefferson seemed to somewhat regularly imbibe opium he grew at Monticello for *medicinal* reasons) and the mixed drinks of the colonial era seemed too good to pass up: egg flips, stone fence, sangaree, rattle skull, cherry bounce...

John Adams was also a bit of a drinker (and a party animal, so it seems), and was fond of ciders, as am I... so I'd definitely have liked to have a few with him, just so long as the night doesn't end up with me stuck in that shared bed scenario Adams and Franklin were in at the Indian Queen Tavern in 1776. Ben Franklin seemed like a total creeper.

I'd like to say I'd have a drink with Ulysses Grant, but I think if he did have a drink, he would be doing it out of duress and I would imagine him either crying a lot (which is fine), or trashing a hotel room (not so fine).
What about my homeboy GWash?

Also, personally, I would probably either pick your choices here or GWash or James K. Polk due to my own admiration for his expansionism. Some runner-ups might be Charles Evans Hughes, German Kaiser Wilhelm II, Napoleon I, Teddy Roosevelt, FDR, Winston Churchill, and Charles de Gaulle.

Similar History Discussions