Which is your favorite movie about ancient history?

Matthew Amt

Ad Honorem
Jan 2015
MD, USA
My favorite movie about ancient history is Gladiator.

"Gladiator" has nothing to do with ancient history, unfortunately. It's a fantasy that uses some Roman personal names and place names.

Alas, the same goes for the vast majority of "ancient era" movies and TV shows. Probably the closest one is "Monty Python's Life of Brian".

Matthew

Mar 2013
Escandinavia y Mesopotamia
I liked Meet The Spartans:

It was much more historical accurate than "300".

Feb 2016
Atlantic Ocean
I liked Meet The Spartans:

It was much more historical accurate than "300".
I want a world where that is what happened, and the Greeks attempted to er "make it a bit grander" :lol:

@Matthew Amt gladiator is not that bad, its not like they had ancient pyramids with aliens walking about 10,000bc cough

Jun 2018
europe
"Gladiator" has nothing to do with ancient history, unfortunately. It's a fantasy that uses some Roman personal names and place names.

Alas, the same goes for the vast majority of "ancient era" movies and TV shows. Probably the closest one is "Monty Python's Life of Brian".

Matthew
well thats one good fantasy!:lol:

caldrail

Ad Honorem
Feb 2012
I think it would be fairer to say that Gladiator is fiction, albeit based on historical data however distorted, but note also it is very similar in concept to Fall Of The Roman Empire but told from a different reference point.

In reality Commodus didn't kill his father to become Caesar - he was co-emperor for four years before Marcus Aurelius died. And of course Commodus wasn't killed in a gladiatorial contest. Having found a list of names that the listed assumed was their death sentence, a conspiracy was arranged for Commodus to die. An athlete was sent in to Commodus' bath where the infamous caesar was strangled.