which nations can't have nukes?

Jun 2006
34
classified
#3
Well the U.S. enforces the whole nuclear peace stuff because they wanna be the only world power... Japan chooses not to have nuckes and New Zealand wants them... anyone can have them
 
Jul 2006
314
Massachusetts
#4
jameson189 said:
Well the U.S. enforces the whole nuclear peace stuff because they wanna be the only world power... Japan chooses not to have nuckes and New Zealand wants them... anyone can have them
I think the US tries to deter proliferation as part of its national security, as it should. And while you're right, anyone can have them, you do need some plutonium and a certain level of intrastructure.

Chris--
 
Jun 2006
268
#5
I don't think any nation should have to right to tell someone else whether or not they can build nukes. Every country should have the right to defend themselves.

Although it would be scary to see certain countries with Nukes... like lebanon or so of those African countries that are always at war.
 
Jul 2006
314
Massachusetts
#6
kahn said:
I don't think any nation should have to right to tell someone else whether or not they can build nukes. Every country should have the right to defend themselves.

Although it would be scary to see certain countries with Nukes... like lebanon or so of those African countries that are always at war.
I completely disagree with this. Our country has the right to tell any country we think will be a threat to think twice about building nukes or face the consequences. Nukes will not help most countries from defending themselves from the US, UK, China, or Russia. It will just add instability to an already unstable world.

Clearly you have doubts about this, as you say in your second statement. Most unstable governments are far more vulnerable to internal power struggles and overthrow than external invasion. What are they going to do, nuke their own capitol city to prevent a coup? Oh, wait, some of these warlords might do just that. Why shoot yourself in the head when you can wipe out half your country at the same time?

The countries that currently possess nukes have an obligation to keep other countries from obtaining them. Each new country in possession increases the likelyhood of their being used.

Chris--
 

Belisarius

Forum Staff
Jun 2006
10,359
U.K.
#7
DigitusImpudicus said:
kahn said:
I don't think any nation should have to right to tell someone else whether or not they can build nukes. Every country should have the right to defend themselves.

Although it would be scary to see certain countries with Nukes... like lebanon or so of those African countries that are always at war.
I completely disagree with this. Our country has the right to tell any country we think will be a threat to think twice about building nukes or face the consequences. Nukes will not help most countries from defending themselves from the US, UK, China, or Russia. It will just add instability to an already unstable world.

Clearly you have doubts about this, as you say in your second statement. Most unstable governments are far more vulnerable to internal power struggles and overthrow than external invasion. What are they going to do, nuke their own capitol city to prevent a coup? Oh, wait, some of these warlords might do just that. Why shoot yourself in the head when you can wipe out half your country at the same time?

The countries that currently possess nukes have an obligation to keep other countries from obtaining them. Each new country in possession increases the likelyhood of their being used.

Chris--
So why can't America, UK, France, Russia, China, India, Pakistahn, and Isreal disarm completely and show some moral fortitude. They can then turn to countries like Korea and Iran from the moral high ground and perhaps stop nuclear proliferation that way. The "Have Nots" will always want to join the "Haves". I say get rid of the lot, we don't need them anymore.
 
Jul 2006
314
Massachusetts
#8
Belisarius said:
DigitusImpudicus said:
kahn said:
I don't think any nation should have to right to tell someone else whether or not they can build nukes. Every country should have the right to defend themselves.

Although it would be scary to see certain countries with Nukes... like lebanon or so of those African countries that are always at war.
I completely disagree with this. Our country has the right to tell any country we think will be a threat to think twice about building nukes or face the consequences. Nukes will not help most countries from defending themselves from the US, UK, China, or Russia. It will just add instability to an already unstable world.

Clearly you have doubts about this, as you say in your second statement. Most unstable governments are far more vulnerable to internal power struggles and overthrow than external invasion. What are they going to do, nuke their own capitol city to prevent a coup? Oh, wait, some of these warlords might do just that. Why shoot yourself in the head when you can wipe out half your country at the same time?

The countries that currently possess nukes have an obligation to keep other countries from obtaining them. Each new country in possession increases the likelyhood of their being used.

Chris--
So why can't America, UK, France, Russia, China, India, Pakistahn, and Isreal disarm completely and show some moral fortitude. They can then turn to countries like Korea and Iran from the moral high ground and perhaps stop nuclear proliferation that way. The "Have Nots" will always want to join the "Haves". I say get rid of the lot, we don't need them anymore.
If only that were possible, it would truly be for the best. But it's never going to happen. The technology exists. If we were to completely disarm, we would be at the mercy of any nutcase like Kim Jong Il. So, sadly, you are mistaken. We do need them. At the same time we need to stop proliferation.

We can't put the genie back in the bottle. We can only try to minimize the chances for disaster. The best option is to scale back as much as possible, and hope some day our social evolution catches up with our technological evolution.

Chris--
 
Jun 2006
368
Earthquake Central
#9
Only nations that sit at the cool lunch table in the UN are allowed to have nukes. You have to collect the complete "Power Scientist" action-figure set to be considered for a spot.

And no cheating. We all know Russia leaves their toys all over the place, so you can't take his and be considered cool.
 
Jul 2006
314
Massachusetts
#10
Ritocal said:
Only nations that sit at the cool lunch table in the UN are allowed to have nukes. You have to collect the complete "Power Scientist" action-figure set to be considered for a spot.

And no cheating. We all know Russia leaves their toys all over the place, so you can't take his and be considered cool.
ROTFLMAO!

Mental image of Kim jong Il running up to the cool table: "Look at me! Look! I told you I could do it! I want to join the cool table!" {lights rocket that takes off, flies for two feet, then fizzles and dies.} Kim stands over it with a look of profound disappointment. At the cool table, Russia turns to US and make and "L" against his forehead with his thumb and forefinger. Everyone at the cool table laughs and turns away from Kim.

Chris--