Which of German death camps was Polish ???

I'm so curious, apparently at least one of German death camps was in fact Polish:

https://twitter.com/yairlapid?ref_s...d/middleeast/poland-holocaust-law-israel.html

I wonder which one.

I contacted Ewa Bazan from KL Auschwitz museum asking her about the fate of my relative who was killed there on Saint Stephen's Day in 1943. She found her death certificate, and it was written in German (why would a Polish camp issue documents in German language?):

Kontakt / Auschwitz-Birkenau

So maybe another death camp was Polish and its documents were written in Polish?

Please tell me which one was that? Name it. Or post geographical coordinates.

Sep 2016
天下
Hahhahahahaha. This is so ironic. Poles were for years campaigning for English users to stop using the term "Polish Death Camp" because it could be mistaken to mean "a death camp operated by Poles" instead of true "a death camp located in Poland". However, instead of succeeding they only made it worse...

Dec 2017
Poland
The most interesting is the theory that the Jews were murdered without ever meeting a German soldier. Of course, it was formally an SS department.

So I'm still waiting for that Israeli guy to show me documents from Polish death camps.
Polemic with that guy may be ineffective. He will probably tell you that there was one German commander in the camp and he wrote in German, and the rest of the crew were Poles.

Hahhahahahaha. This is so ironic. Poles were for years campaigning for English users to stop using the term "Polish Death Camp" because it could be mistaken to mean "a death camp operated by Poles" instead of true "a death camp located in Poland". However, instead of succeeding they only made it worse...
Someone else is working in the opposite direction. But this is a serious forum with serious people, here everyone knows the details of World War II.

Last edited:
Claims that Poles were supposedly more antisemitic than other Europeans or collaborated with German occupiers more often than others, are "anecdotal evidence" - and even if true, it has nothing to do with who was running those death camps - Germany or Poland. This new Polish law aims at penalizing claims that deaths camps were operated by the independent Polish state and/or by ethnic Poles. It does not penalize any other claim about Polish collaborators or Anti-Semites. Curiously Jewish historian David Solomon did not mention Poland as a particularly Anti-Semitic nation, he mentioned Germany (see the video below):

Fragment from 55:50 onwards:

"(...) The Shoah is not an isolated event. The project to exterminate the Jews of Germany happens here [pointing at the timeline of history], and here, and here, and here, and here, and here. And so people say - so why did Jews keep going back to Germany? Why did Jews keep going back? And I say - look at your own generation. Only half a century after the Holocaust, and what is the largest growing Jewish community in the world outside of Israel? It's Germany. And yet surely the lesson of this entire wall [pointing at the timeline of history] is that Jews should not be living in Germany. We hope and we pray... in the end of the day, in hundreds of years from now, I'm hoping that... well, if I'm starting to explain that more I'm gonna get further and further into problem, so I'm gonna stop, let's go back to history (...)"

It is well known that many Ashkenazi Jews still secretely love Germans and feel close to them (at least closer than to Slavic nations), so they want to white-wash Germany. It's still hard for them to believe that those civilized and cultured Germans could be so barbaric, inhumane and cruel. It's better to blame poor illiterate Polish peasants instead of blaming "Ashkenaz" (Ashkenaz means Germany).

Jochen Böhler in his book "Auftakt zum Vernichtungskrieg: Die Wehrmacht in Polen 1939" even quoted testimonies of some German soldiers from September 1939, which say that Jewish population in many towns welcomed German invaders in a rather friendly way. They could not see what was coming, many of them were probably ignorant of what was happening with Jews in Germany. They expected German occupation to be like it was back in 1915-1918, after the Gorlice-Tarnów Offensive.

Guess what, in 1915-1918 Polish Jews were not exterminated in Polish death camps.

And in those years entire Poland was occupied by Germany and Austria-Hungary.

Last edited:

authun

Ad Honorem
Aug 2011
I'm so curious, apparently at least one of German death camps was in fact Polish:

I think a lot of this is either poor or mischievous reporting. The argument between the State of Israel and Poland is because new legislation is being proposed to make it an offence to call Nazi Death Camps, Polish Death Camps. The polish deputy justice minister claims this is a necessary law because of the danger of claims that Poles were 'co-responsible'.

The Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu says the proposed law is baseless but Israel's Education and Diaspora Minister, Bennett, says that they go beyond the "historic fact that Germans initiated, planned and built the work and death camps in Poland." For Israel, it amounts to a sort of Holocaust denial, not denial of the Holocaust, but a denial that some poles were involved. Bennett adds:

"It is a historic fact that many Poles aided in the murder of Jews, handed them in, abused them, and even killed Jews during and after the Holocaust," Bennett said, adding that what happened "must be taught to the next generation."

There is no suggestion that Poles conceived, designed, built and operated the camps, just that there were such things as polish collaborators. Every country had those so it's really a question of scale and numbers are the one thing which is missing in all this. No one is talking about how many jews were denounced by poles and it's a straight forward, "they were", "no they were not". type of argument.

Yesterday's Deutsche Welle has a report on it:

Israel says 'Polish death camp' rephrasing bill amounts to denial.

France has had arguments over the scale of french complicity in what happened to french jews. There is not a lot that is new here, other than the proposed legislation.
http://www.dw.com/en/israel-says-polish-death-camp-rephrasing-bill-amounts-to-denial/a-42338752

Last edited:

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
I believe it was the Military Channel or AHC, here in the U.S., that ran a series called Nazi Collaborators. It demonstrated that there were some in many European nations that worked to detain , deport and hold Jewish citizens for the death camps. A sad bit of history indeed.

Dec 2017
Poland
"It is a historic fact that many Poles aided in the murder of Jews, handed them in, abused them, and even killed Jews during and after the Holocaust,"
It is also a historical fact that many Jews helped to murder Jews, handed them over, mistreated and even killed Jews during the Holocaust, and after the war in Israel, they ridiculed Jews who died in the camp. It changed only afterwards and they began to respect the victims (not the place here to explain why, it's a different topic).

Similar History Discussions