Which of German death camps was Polish ???

Nov 2011
I always appreciate good laughter and a thread “Voices from Poland” that promotes Zgliczynski’s book gave me a healthy dose of laughter.
http://historum.com/european-history/55948-voices-poland.html#post1435032

Zgliczynski’s book has already been promoted by another member and I have had fun reading a book review.
http://historum.com/european-history/133638-german-death-camps-polish-18.html#post2905535

But promoting anti Polish propaganda by a member with polish name who hopes that the book will be translated into English…. Is not a mystery for a careful observer. :D

I may offer more fun.

Tadeussz Pluzanski, Polish historian who investigates Stalinist crimes wrote about American war film Defiance.

The only truth in Defiance is the fact that such a camp existed and about 1,200 people survived during the war. But the slaughter carried out by the Bielski partisans in Naliboki is conveniently omitted.

The article is quite long as Pluzanski did a thorough investigation. I will emphasize the major points to show the anatomy of propaganda.

A first lie. The Soviet troops after being crushed by the Germans, established several camps over which a command was carried out by officers from Moscow. The Jews also established two large camps: siemiejnyje (meaning family camp). The first was commanded by Tewje Bielski and Simcha Zorin. They did not intend to fight, only to survive and their enemies were not Germans but Polish peasants and the Polish underground. In fact, there was no battle with the Germans as Tewje Bielski confirmed in his post-war memoirs, emphasizing that his Jerusalem "never fought with the invader." Just before his death, in 1987, he said: "I saw what the Germans were doing, I wanted to be different." Instead of killing, I wanted to save. "I did not fight with the Germans, because I thought that saving one Jew was more important than killing 10 Germans. "

A second lie. Jerusalem ( the Bielski’s camp) was not - as Hollywood presented - an autonomous camp. Historians emphasize that Tewje Bielski quickly communicated with the Soviets and came under their command. The reports of government delegation for Poland has stated,” the Naliboki Forest, is the habitat of mostly soviet subversive units that are well armed with hand and machine guns and commanded by Soviet officers trained for guerrilla warfare. It is estimated that those units consist of about 10,000 people. (...) Local population is harassed by constant requisitions, and often by robbery of clothing, food and stock. The Poles are particullarly harrased by 2 Jewish battalions siemiejnyje.

A third lie. Jozef Marchwinski, a temporary deputy of Tewje Bielski, married to a Jew, has described the condition in the camp. “The Bielski and his three brothers were good looking. They were inclined to drink and romance. Tewje Bielski not only took a command over the Jews in the camp but also managed a quite big harem of beautiful women.

In the camp, where Jewish families often went to sleep with empty stomachs, where mothers cuddled their hungry children or begged for an extra spoonful of warm food for their little ones - another life flourished in the camp. Bielski and his entourage did not complain about bad conditions. In fact, having gold from own countryman he and his entourage didn’t know hunger or deprivation.

The Soviet reports also have stated: "Bielski took gold from his partisans to purchase weapons but he did not give them weapons."

A fourth and the most important lie. Naliboki. In 1942, the Soviet partisans were attacking Naliboki, a small town, as well as surrounding villages. Poles organized a self-defence to stop a plunder. It was a cover for the local Home Army.

In the spring of 1943, the Soviets decided to subjugate the self-defense of the Naliboki. However, Poles didn’t agree and both sides came to an agreement not to attack each other. But the agreement was broken and Naliboki was attacked during the night of May 8, 1943. The witnesses recognized their Jewish neighbors among the attackers.

Wacław Nowicki, an 18-year-old boy , one of the few survivors of the slaughter, in his interview in 1993 said:
“At 5 am machine gun destroyed the front wall of our house. My mum run to the window screaming “the village is burning” At 7 am shots stopped and the survivors of the pogrom could see a tragedy of the genocide. Eyewitness reported that in two hours, 128 innocent people were killed by the Bielski’s and Pobeda’s partisans. The murderers, both male and females run into the houses and with series of machine gun killed sleeping families, robbed, and put a house in fire. Others who woke up by the sudden shooting and the groans of their neighbors run on the yard and were killed instantly. It was difficult to identify the bodies. Only a few Poles managed to escape to the forest.”

The Jewish version is completely different. They explain the crime in Nalibolki as a result of the pre-war ant-Semitism that intensified after 1941. But the memories indicate harmonius co-existence of 4000 Poles and several hundred Jews living for several hundred years together.

Sulia Wolozhinska Rubin, whose husband took part in the slaughter in Naliboki, recalled: Jews had to pass a village when they walked to the forest The peasants rung the bells and pounded in copper pots warning against the Jews. Peasants ran out with axes, sickles - anything that could be used to kill. And they butchered all of Jews and shared their belongings. (" Against the Tide. The Story of an Unknown Partisan, "Jerusalem 1980).

In the documentary film made later, the butcher's wife added that the Polish peasants crucified her husband's father on the tree, which was to be the direct cause of the massacre (The Bielsky Brothers The Unkown Partisans, Soma Productions, 1993). Today, the film serves as an auxiliary material in Israeli schools.

In reports, the Soviet partisans described the massacre as a breakdown of the German garrison. In fact, they reported 250 casualties, seizure of a large amount of weapons and ammunition, as well as 100 cows and 78 horses. However, during the massacre, there were no Germans in Naliboki but one Belarusian policeman.

The myth of the Soviet partisans and Bielski battalion as well as their combat with Germans was born. The battles with the invaders were, in fact , attacks on Polish and Belarusian villages.

The movie doesn’t say a word about the fate of the brothers even though it claims that it is a true story.

It is known that after 1945 Tewje moved with his family to Palestine, In Tel Aviv he opened a grocery store. As a volunteer, he participated in the first Israeli-Arab war. In 1955, he moved to New York and worked as a taxi driver in Brooklyn for the rest of his life where he died at the age of 81. After his death, his body was brought to Israel and buried in the Heroes' Cemetery.

Media reported that American married couple - Aron and Henry Bell - kidnapped Janina Zaniewska, 93, from Florida, and placed her in a nursing home near Poznan in Poland. It supposed to be a “holiday” for Janina Zaniewska who didn’t visit Poland for a long time. Under this pretext they acquired a power of attorney and took $ 250.000 from her account. Aron and Henry Bell were arrested in the US (charge of kidnapping and fraud). Aron Bell is the youngest brother of Tewje - Aron Bielski.

Tadeusz Pluzanski, How Hoolywood falsifies Polish history”

Last edited:
Nov 2011
If appeal is going to be made to Wikipedia for the events as Jedwabne, one might as well read the whole article rather than rely on isolated passages taken out of context:

Jedwabne pogrom - Wikipedia

These events are plainly disputed, and there are contradictions between different witness accounts. Anna Bikont seems to have closer to Gross's conclusions.

I have done quick research about Anna Bikont.

Anna Bikont is a Polish Jewish psychologist and writer associated with the Gazeta Wyborcza newspaper. Adam Michnik is the editor-in-chief of the Polish newspaper, Gazeta Wyborcza.

"Adam Michnik was born in Warsaw, Poland, to a family of Jewish communists. His father Ozjasz Szechter was First Secretary of the Communist Party of Western Ukraine, and his mother Helena Michnik was a historian, communist activist, and children's-book author. His step-brother on his mother's side, Stefan Michnik, was a Stalinist military judge in the 1950s, who passed sentence, including executions, in politically-motivated trials of members of Polish anti Nazi resistance fighters. Stefan Michnik (who has lived outside Poland since 1968), was later formally implicated in zbrodnie komunistyczne ("communist crimes") by Polish courts."
Adam Michnik - Wikipedia

I am not surprised that " Anna Bikont seems to have closer to Gross's conclusions." Since Gross's book was heavily criticized by historians.........he needs A. Bikont. Historians didn't waste their time to review her book.

Similar History Discussions