Which of the enemies that the US fought during the 20th century was the least repulsive?

Which of the enemies that the US fought during the 20th century was the least repulsive?

• The Central Powers (Germany and Austria-Hungary)

• The Axis Powers (Nazi Germany, Fascist Italy, Imperial Japan, and some minor Axis countries)

• North Korea

• North Vietnam

• Saddam Hussein's Iraq

Results are only viewable after voting.

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
How many people were murdered by Mussolini? Also, I'm excluding Ethiopia and Libya here since colonialism and racism against non-Whites was hardly unusual by the standards of those times--though Italy certainly went overboard with its atrocities in Ethiopia even by the standards of those days.

Also, for what it's worth, I'm not actually excusing murder. I'm simply pointing out that Mussolini's crimes were much milder than those of Hitler and Stalin. Obviously he could have avoided the crimes that he did commit, though.
Firstly I don;t accept that mass murder colonialism was an acceptable standard 1930 or not.

Mussolini set up a fascist dictatorship, that broke the rule of law, used murder, torture and beating people by thugs as acceptable methods of Government. Once the line is crossed that the Government can openly murder people, torture people, beta people up without any repercussions or the rule of law being enforce med, even if the number is quite small, it's still a reprehensible and regime that should be condemned.

Mussolini was a criminal who used criminal methods, blunt force to subvert the rule of law and achieve his ends. his regime was a criminal regime. Murder, Torture, Beatings.

To say Mussolini "did nothing wrong" and dismiss anything less than the mass- Murder millions is just OK. That is disingenuous at best and is justifying murder, what it's Ok as long as the victims are few or of certain races?

I do not accept that.

Reactions: Futurist
May 2019
United States
To all the people saying Vietnam, wasn't Communist Vietnam incredibly oppressive of it's non Kinh ethnic minorities like the Cham, Montagnards, and Khmer? There was a decades long insurgency against the Communist government by FULRO because of this.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Stuff like mass killings of Slovenes, concentration camps etc. They wanted to Italianize the region.
Couldn't it have simply been easier to forcibly Italianize the Slovenes just like they wanted to do with the South Tyrolese, though?

Dec 2018
Cheyenne
To all the people saying Vietnam, wasn't Communist Vietnam incredibly oppressive of it's non Kinh ethnic minorities like the Cham, Montagnards, and Khmer? There was a decades long insurgency against the Communist government by FULRO because of this.
2-10 thousand Hue' civilians massacred, some buried alive with babies killed if they were thought to have a foreign father

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Not on the list, and with some difficulty to measure repulsiveness, but I would vote for countries in the Latin America, maybe beginning with the closest neighbour: Mexico.

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
Not on the list, and with some difficulty to measure repulsiveness, but I would vote for countries in the Latin America, maybe beginning with the closest neighbour: Mexico.
My opinion is that it would be large exaggeration to consider the expedition under Pershing in '16 a war. The war with Mexico was, of course, during the mid-nineteenth century.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
My opinion is that it would be large exaggeration to consider the expedition under Pershing in '16 a war. The war with Mexico was, of course, during the mid-nineteenth century.
A little war is still a war, Kotromanic. But war or no war apart, the dead will find the discussion irrelevant: weren’t the Mexicans an enemy during Pershing’s expedition in 1917? Or during the previous USA occupation of Vera Cruz in 1914? There were casualties on both sides and occupation of territory. But we could list more wars or expeditions or USA military interventions in Latin America here. There were a few. I consider most if not all of those enemies less “repulsive” than the ones in the initial list. But "repulsiveness" is usually a question of opinion.