Which regime was worse: Hitler (Germany) or Franco (Spain)

Which regime was comparatively worse: Hitler or Franco?

• Hitler

Votes: 48 92.3%
  • Franco

Votes: 4 7.7%

• Total voters

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
This photo is absolutely authentic.But It proved only that the spanish farmers worked in 1936 with the tools of the Roman and Medieval periods.I think it is interesting to know how lived in Spain,the spanish workers in the sector of the agriculture.I speak of couse of the "jornaleros" who owned nothing,and not about the "labradores" who owned their litttle properties and yokes or teams.
Andalucia,Extremadura:salary,3 to 5 pesetas for one day (10 or 12 hours of work):price of a plate of lentils,a plate of potatoes,and a glass of wine the sunday.
Aragon,Levant,Mancha :salary,4 to 6 pesetas for one day (10 or 12 hours of work):price of a plate of lentils or beans with a half saussage,a plate of potatoes and one glass of wine each day.
Castilla,Catalunia:salary,5 to 8 pesetas for one day (10 or 12 hours of work):price of a plate or lentils or beans with a complete saussage or rasher of ham,a plate of potatoes and a glass of wine each day.
I am not sure that the german workers at the time of Hitler eat less than that.

Dear Dupuy.

I am not idiot...

France, 1932... farmers working... tools from Roman and Medieval periods....by the way.. for sure... cultivating crops... brought by Spaniards to Europe...

Land in Spain is not goog for agriculture because it is a rought and montanious terrain... however, the peasants standard of living of the peasants varied greatly

May 2017
France
Dear Mr Martin,you know very much that each summer,thousands and thousands of spanish workers went to France,from Bordeaux to Marseille, for searching best salaries than in Spain.The enormous territory of the duque of Medinacelli,80 000 HA, was cultivied by jornaleros who received only three pesetas each day.In France,they received a salary triple,and the room,the food,the wine without paying something.All those who married,decided to stay in France,why ? We are today in the South,two millions of french with spanish origines…...
In 1936,my uncle,Eusebio Garcia Terrero,was lieutnant in the milicia of Siguënza.All the farmers said "Pity stay with us because the requetes will oblige us to give our money to "el padre ".And we don t pay since 1931...……".

May 2019
Spain
Spaniard here. I don't think the Francoist regime was nearly as bad as the Third Reich. I'm too young to know what it was like when he ruled, anyways, but it wasn't as horrid. Fascism is still fascism, tho.

Now, this is quite polemic, but it's something I've noticed a lot and would like to know if any people from countries that had a dictatorship not-so-long-ago find this as well.

Idk if it's only the people I associate with, but coming from a really poor neighborhood in rural Galicia, most people here say they were better when he was here? Note half the people here are 70+. Their reasoning doesn't really make a lot of sense, but most of the houses in my street were built by his Gobernment and they insist that it wasn't as bad as they made it seem. Idk if it's because the people here are already prone to suffering (I insist, people here were really poor, and if you walk outside you will see a lot still are) so to them it wasn't that bad, they were brainwashed or they actually support his regime.

On the other hand, when I visist my mother's family in Madrid they constantly talk to me about how awful the Francoist regime was and things like that. They have no idea about history and politics anyways, but I guess they have some points here and there, and this is a field they have more information on than me. They're obviously Republicans (in the Spanish sense), and honestly I can't seem to get any source of direct information about the topic that isn't highly opinionated and biased, specially depending on the place I ask. I'll stick to my books I guess.

(Also, have you seen Franco trying to speak English? It's the best.)

May 2019
Spain
Dear Mr Martin,you know very much that each summer,thousands and thousands of spanish workers went to France,from Bordeaux to Marseille, for searching best salaries than in Spain.The enormous territory of the duque of Medinacelli,80 000 HA, was cultivied by jornaleros who received only three pesetas each day.In France,they received a salary triple,and the room,the food,the wine without paying something.All those who married,decided to stay in France,why ? We are today in the South,two millions of french with spanish origines…...".
True tho. My grandmother's sister had to travel to Portugal and later France in order to, you know, not starve. Things were pretty fucked up, but honestly I think pretty much every dictatorship is, there's no point in comparing it to the Holocaust.

If you all have any experiences with this, @ me, I really want to hear them.

May 2017
France
I agree with you.Franco has protected the jews,even Mr Szkolnikoff,one of the worse gangster of Europe,killed in in 1945 by the DGER s team of my cousin the colonel Deodat Dupuy Montbrun.The team has been arrested by the Franco s police,and later changed against spanish policemen arrested in France during their work of evacuation towards Spain of french collaborators,received like princes in San Sebastian by Wehrmacht prussians officers who had prefered passing in Spain than in the new regime of the comunist RDA...…..

Reactions: Futurist

JoanOfArc007

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
USA
Franco never achieved anything. He just sort of withered away. Hitler tried his best to change society.
In the history of our world The name Adolf Hitler towers over that of Francisco Franco, and that is the truth regardless of the morality issues. The Third Reich conquered France which saw Hitler gain worldwide fame...at that time when the Reich took France the whole of Germany and its generals saw in Hitler a man sent from God to conquer other countries and to spread German lands. Hitler led the Reich which took over a # of other countries and much of The USSR. The Reich had international recognition and a powerful ally in The Empire of Japan and lesser powerful ally in Italy. Nonetheless a cultured European country such as Italy did support the Reich but Italy could have been an allied member of WW2 as well if things went differently. . I will add here that IMO Hitler was morally worse compared to Franco but they were both on the wrong side in some ways. As this is an opinion thread, Are you pro Hitler? As for Franco, Franco was no FDR to me and I admire FDR greatly. There are Soviet Communists(not Gov but good everyday people honest Soviet policemen, firefighters and soldiers) that were morally beautiful people, better then Franco and Hitler they were.

Spain otoh, was at its heights in the days of the Spanish Empire many years prior to Franco. When I think of Spanish history, I think of the Italian Christopher Columbus contributing to Spains legacy. I certainly think of Ferdinand and Isabelle, I also think of Spains high quality national futbol team. Franco does not immediately come to my mind when thinking of Spain, but he is not on the bottom of the list.

Last edited:
Dec 2018
Iowa
It is amazing that this question has even been asked. Franco saved Spain from becoming a Soviet puppet state, like Poland or East Germany. Can you imagine if the West had had to fight the Cold War, not only in Eastern Europe and Asia, but also in the West? The results could have been disastrous. I have little sympathy with people who rape and murder nuns. ¡Viva Franquismo, y viva España!