Which Roman Emperor/General you wished lived a little while longer?

Oct 2012
Rome had a lot of emperors and generals, many of them competent with a history of victories against their enemies. Sooner or later, all of them died though. Some murdered by people, orders murdered by time. It was not uncommon that they left some plans behind that were never accomplished. Julius Caesar was planning a campaign in Parthia. Trajan died in the middle of a campaign right there and a couple of planned provinces were never anexed after the reign of Marcus Aurelius, just to name a few examples.

I think you can get the picture. So my question is: which Roman emperor and/or general you wish to see living a while longer so they could execute a campaign that never came to be. And how do you think that would play out?

Oct 2016
Merryland
I wish Claudius had lived long enough to prepare a different successor (his son Brittanicus?) and saved Rome from Nero.

Jan 2016
Victoria, Canada
Basil II, who was just about to undertake a large scale operation to retake Sicily right before his death. Had he lived long enough to see it through, not only would the empire have access to the wealth of the rich island, but its western flank would be secure for the immediate future. Instead of serving as a power base for the troublesome and belligerent Normans, Sicily could have reverted back to its traditional role as a Roman fortress and cash cow. Perhaps it could also serve as a launchpad for the reintegration of Sardinia and other western territories, cut off from Constantinople as they were by the Arab conquest of the island.

macon

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Slovenia, EU
Rome had a lot of emperors and generals, many of them competent with a history of victories against their enemies. Sooner or later, all of them died though. Some murdered by people, orders murdered by time. It was not uncommon that they left some plans behind that were never accomplished. Julius Caesar was planning a campaign in Parthia. Trajan died in the middle of a campaign right there and a couple of planned provinces were never anexed after the reign of Marcus Aurelius, just to name a few examples.

I think you can get the picture. So my question is: which Roman emperor and/or general you wish to see living a while longer so they could execute a campaign that never came to be. And how do you think that would play out?
Majorian as a last hope of Western empire. I wish that Aurelian's reign would have been few years longer, Sassanids would have had big difficulties with their surviving. Also a longer reign of Claudius Gothicus.

Aug 2015
Los Angeles
If Caesar lived, that would be great.

Another is Odaenathus. He died while planning to take on the Franks, which I don't believe future emperors did. While he wasn't an emperor, never taking the title Augustus himself, he was the man calling the shots, and he was planning to go visit the Franks rather than defending against the Franks. I would love to see how that would have turn out.

Maybe he would have died like Decius, or he could have stomp them like he did Shapur. Imagine if the Frankish menace was resolved around the 3rd century? That they were properly included into the Roman fold, their people settled like actual Romans, and their soldiers conducting war on the eastern front? History would be rewritten.

But no, someone had to assassinate him.

Aug 2015
Los Angeles
Basil II, who was just about to undertake a large scale operation to retake Sicily right before his death. Had he lived long enough to see it through, not only would the empire have access to the wealth of the rich island, but its western flank would be secure for the immediate future. Instead of serving as a power base for the troublesome and belligerent Normans, Sicily could have reverted back to its traditional role as a Roman fortress and cash cow. Perhaps it could also serve as a launchpad for the reintegration of Sardinia and other western territories, cut off from Constantinople as they were by the Arab conquest of the island.
Oh it could feed armies as well. That would have saved a lot of money for the empire.

Sep 2013
Ontario, Canada
The Roman Emperor Titus. He ruled for far too short a time for us to get the full judge of what sort of Emperor he might've turned out to be. But his reign began as promising as Nero's did.

He had worked alongside his father Vespasian in government for many years, and knew the workings of the Roman Empire from the inside out. In addition Titus was a capable military man, having already celebrated a Triumph for his efforts in bringing the Jewish War to an end.

He reformed the legal system to reduce corruption and completed building projects, like the Colosseum. He responded quickly to disasters like Vesuvius in resettling affected people from Pompeii and Herculaneum, and paid money out of his own pocket to help rebuild Rome after a devastating fire.

The reverses Rome suffered under his brother (in Dacia, particularly) may not have happened with Titus in charge. But then it also wouldn't have set the stage for the fall of Domitian and the eventual emergence of Trajan, who reasserted Roman power, and the Antonine successors, who ably guided the state for nearly a century thereafter.

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
Aurelian, maybe.

Although I find Julius Caesar fascinating it would be a bit odd to say I wished he lived longer, since that surely would mean wars in Dacia and Parthia if disease didn't claim him first. That would be trading Caesar's life for potentially millions of ordinary people who could be killed in those wars (the Gallic War supposedly claimed the lives of a million Gauls), not to mention the many thousands who could end up enslaved because of it.

cachibatches

Ad Honorem
Mar 2012
Emperors:

Titus, who was an extremely Pius man.

Julian, the only emperor that Sharpur II could not just walk over.

Generals:

Corbulo, who should have rebelled against Nero.

Marcellus, one of Rome's best who proved a match for Hannibal

Caesar. Would have conquered Parthia.

Germanicus. We all know that one.