Which territories that the US never actually acquired were ever on the radar of US expansionists?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
For the Central American states, it included all of them i believe for the Golden circle but you said it didn’t count since they also wanted southern secession.
Yeah. I mean, this would have worked for this had the advocates of this proposal actually wanted to remain a part of the US. It's in very bad taste to advocate acquiring additional territory for the US and yet to also advocate secession from the US.

The USA did offer to buy Greenland, the danish refused
Why'd they refuse?

The USA was not interested in Sicily as they already had deals with Italy to have access to bases.
Makes sense.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
This is fascinating. Even just imagining what a US would look like with an empire spanning from Canada into Central America, and also Greenland and Sicily is truly surreal, and would certainly have led to some very interesting developments.
Well, we would have certainly had much more space--and much more Hispanics and Latinos. :) I do hope that the US is not going to get diarrhea from swallowing so much additional territory, though. I mean, integrating these territories is going to be one hell of a task--especially in the long(er)-run once their population will begin significantly growing. Canada is easy for the US to absorb, but southern Mexico and Central America are probably much less so.

I really do hope that Mexico and Central America are going to be much more peaceful places in this scenario, though. They're probably going to be significantly poorer than the US average, but still much wealthier and hopefully much more peaceful than they are in real life. AFAIK US Latinos are relatively peaceful (on average, of course) and thus this does make me wonder if it might be possible to make certain changes (I'm not sure what exactly) to make the populations of Mexico and Central America much less violent. I mean, Russians were much more violent in the early 2000s than they are right now, but there was a clear culprit in that case--specifically mass alcohol consumption. I don't know what the causes of massive violence in Mexico and Central America are, though. The drug wars?

Frank81

Ad Honorem
Feb 2010
Canary Islands-Spain
The case of Liberia is one peculiar:

I can't find out loud American pretensions of adquiring the country. However, I can't think about other country with a so close relation to the US, while in terms of bilateral policies, the best way to describe it is one of lord and vassal

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
There is the matter of the proposed American mandate in the Middle East which Wilson seems to have approved of during post WWI peace talks.
Yes, I suppose that this would count for this. Still, like the Philippines, it would probably be viewed as being in US hands only temporarily--with eventual independence becoming a reality at some future point in time.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
The case of Liberia is one peculiar:

I can't find out loud American pretensions of adquiring the country. However, I can't think about other country with a so close relation to the US, while in terms of bilateral policies, the best way to describe it is one of lord and vassal
Fun fact: The Liberian flag was modeled on the US flag.

Frank81

Ad Honorem
Feb 2010
Canary Islands-Spain
Liberia is a clone of the US, or an attempt to be so, adapted to local circunstances. It is a relation somewhat like UK and Australia

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
However, I can't think about other country with a so close relation to the US, while in terms of bilateral policies, the best way to describe it is one of lord and vassal
There are others.

That being said, back on topic. The US also wanted the entire Oregon County.