Which territories that the US never actually acquired were ever on the radar of US expansionists?

Oct 2014
California
San Diego County is just fine... it goes from Mexico to San Clemente and from the Pacific Ocean to the Borrego Desert. You make it sound like you want a giant city covering the land?

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
In the color coded war plans from the 1920s, there were two plans for a war for France's western hemisphere colonies, so perhaps the US was eyeing them. One was originally from WWI and assumed Germany had conquered France, and it was war with Germany. The other was war with France, which may have also originally assumed the US allied with the Central Powers in WWI.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
In the color coded war plans from the 1920s, there were two plans for a war for France's western hemisphere colonies, so perhaps the US was eyeing them. One was originally from WWI and assumed Germany had conquered France, and it was war with Germany. The other was war with France, which may have also originally assumed the US allied with the Central Powers in WWI.
All of these were contingency plans, no?

Jul 2009
War Plan Black was a left over from WW I in case France was knocked out of the war and Germany had possession of the French Caribbean islands.

War Plan Gold was a contingency for a war with France - in the Caribbean for the most part. I am unaware that the US planned for a war against France in Europe. (But who knows? maybe there was a War Plan Chartreuse :D.)

In both cases, we can see the importance that the US places on its strategic interests in the Caribbean Basin, and the Western Hemisphere.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
War Plan Black was a left over from WW I in case France was knocked out of the war and Germany had possession of the French Caribbean islands.

War Plan Gold was a contingency for a war with France - in the Caribbean for the most part. I am unaware that the US planned for a war against France in Europe. (But who knows? maybe there was a War Plan Chartreuse :D.)

In both cases, we can see the importance that the US places on its strategic interests in the Caribbean Basin, and the Western Hemisphere.
Do you know if the US ever planned to occupy the Dutch West Indies in the event of a German conquest of the Netherlands?