Which war is more interesting to study from a military and historical standpoint: the American Civil War or World War I?

More interesting War to study?

• WW1

Votes: 18 69.2%
  • American Civil War

Votes: 8 30.8%

• Total voters

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
WWI because it was more consequential for world history and also because it involved much more countries--including some very powerful countries.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
WW1 as the first act in the 20th century house of horrors
the american civil war has the merit of being the first modern war
I just love it , full of characters , very well documented
but it was detached from world history main current , it was a local affair ,
to a large degree it didn't even affect the development trajectory of south America or Canada

Reactions: Druid and Futurist
Nov 2019
United States
WW1 has always been for me the most interesting time of all modern times (modern to me being post 18th Century) in history. It is literally in my mind the progenitor of the modern world. I say that sadly for the destruction and death it wrought, but historically it is such a turning point in history in so many diverse ways.

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
WW1 as the first act in the 20th century house of horrors
the american civil war has the merit of being the first modern war
I just love it , full of characters , very well documented
but it was detached from world history main current , it was a local affair ,
to a large degree it didn't even affect the development trajectory of south America or Canada
Interestingly enough, the American Civil War's effect on the US's own history was rather limited at first. True, we did reunify the country and pass the Reconstruction Amendments, but those amendments were subsequently read rather narrowly and only acquired a lot of their teeth in the 20th century. One can even say that the ghost of the Confederacy survived until the late 20th century in the Southern US before finally being banished for good.

Belgarion

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Australia
I find them both interesting. The ACW was the turning point between the old style Napoleonic methods of warfare and the modern type that wrought destruction on an unprecedented scale in WWI. Ironclad warships, submarines, aerial observation, use of railways, trench warfare, electric communication - all features of the ACW ( and to a point the Crimean and Franco-Prussian wars) that have continued to this day.

pikeshot1600

Ad Honoris
Jul 2009
One can even say that the ghost of the Confederacy survived until the late 20th century in the Southern US before finally being banished for good.
Well although this thread is about military history, one can say that in much of the South the ghost lives on in the contemporary Republican Party. Other than to point that out, I will refrain from political comment.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Touche. Anyway, the Confederacy's ghost is much milder nowadays than it was in the past. Nowadays, things such as support for state-mandated segregation and anti-miscegenation laws are thankfully fringe positions even in the Deep Southern US. Before the late 20th century, these positions were very mainstream there.

Zip

Jan 2018
San Antonio
As an American I find the War of the Rebellion of more interest. For one thing it's much easier for me to visit the sites.

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
here
Just totally my personal opinion, but the ACW is so terribly boring. I’ve tried many times to stoke the flames of interest, but to no avail.