Which was a bigger blow to the British navy: the sinking of HMS Hood (WW2) or the sinking of HMS Sheffield (Falklands War)?

Bigger British Naval loss?

• Sinking of HMS Hood

Votes: 20 76.9%
  • Sinking of HMS Sheffield

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
I’m old enough to remember the loss of the Sheffield but not the Hood. Without any research my thought is that the loss of the Hood was a greater shock to public opinion but the Sheffield was a greater loss as a proportion of the RN’s resources.

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Sheffield was lost aprx two days after the Brits sank the General Belgrano so Sheffield only evened the score. Hood sank before Bismarck so was seen as a defeat, a falling behind in the naval war. Sinking Bismarck evened the score.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edratman

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
I remember the announcement of the loss of HMS Sheffield, as delivered in gloomy slow motion (which might have been designed to induce a sinking feeling) by the extraordinary spokesman as the Ministry of Defence:

It would have been more serious if more ships had been sunk, the margin was very tight.

Last edited:

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
In terms of its effect on the war, the sinking of the MV Atlantic Conveyor probably had more effect.

Jun 2017
Connecticut
Going with notgivenaway's answer neither. If anything the Hood's sinking motivated the British to take out the Bismarck several days later. Hood was a worse symbolic blow(largest ship in the history of the RN, that was quite good looking as far as ships go) in a conflict with a (then) less obvious conclusion.

Edric Streona

Ad Honorem
Feb 2016
Japan
Hood easily.
More men, bigger ship, had immediate implications on conditions. It was lost in a massive impressive explosion caused the ship to sink in 3 minutes. Hood’s loss was important as to warrant PM giving explicit instructions to hunt down its nemesis.

The Falklands was a one sided steam roll, and the loss of the Sheffield had very little effect on its course. It didn’t sink immediately... it took 5-6 days to sink, the British having time to evacuate survivors and salvage equipment...