White slaves .

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
@Tulius

The moral issue I saw was specifically with the Southern US states from around the start of the 19th century . My reasoning is perhaps naive.: Southern US slave owners justified their slave holding by claiming black slaves were the children of Ham, and doomed to servitude*. I guess they would have found some justification for having white slaves if they had been more abundant and cheaper than black slaves.

My idea is redundant, that ain't what happened. A bit pointless to speculate. Sorry to waste your time.

*I'm aware the Bible doesn't give skin colour to the children of Ham., It was a (deliberate?) misinterpretation.

Sep 2013
Chattanooga, TN
Hello everybody ,

If it has existed , (i'm not sure) , does anyone have any (serious) information about "white" slaves in the USA .
We speak of transport in the USA "free" in exchange for a period of slavery agreed in advance with a contract .
I’ve seen several books that talk about this, but none of them talked about the exact terms of the contract ...
A forced labour contract "simple" or a contract of slavery "limited in time".
What if it was a slavery contract ... how far did it go? Selling? Family separation? ... and others ....Etc ...

Thank you so much
Slavery has existed in America since the inception of America in 1776. Yes, there have always been white slaves in America. Most slaves in America today are Latino women, forced to work as prostitutes.

I think that what you are talking about, however, is indentured servitude. White Europeans would agree to be transported to America for free in exchange for seven years of service to someone. Since the indentured servant was not allowed to quit working for his master until the seven years of service was served, I suppose one could argue that indentured servitude was slavery. Some might argue that indentured servitude was not slavery when the indentured servant agreed to the terms. Some Europeans were kidnapped and brought to America to work as indentured servants. These kidnapped Europeans who were forced to work in America for a master for seven years were definitely in a state of slavery.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Perhaps not commonly known outside of Australia; We had a system of 'indentured labour'.From the nineteenth to early 20th century.

Those 'indentured' were South Sea islanders. We called them"kanakas'' .They were often kidnapped . This practice was called 'Black birding"

Australia's early race relations are nota source of pride.

Blackbirding involves the coercion of people through trickery and kidnapping to work as labourers. Generally, persons of European ancestry, or others being paid by them, coerced persons of non-European ancestry to work as labourers throughout the Southeast Pacific region. Blackbirders sought labourers for several major industries or plantations.

Blackbirding - Wikipedia

Some were eventually able to return home. Decades later, when it was decided we didn't want imported black people living here, many were deported , including some born here.

Kanakas were workers from various Pacific Islands employed in British colonies, such as British Columbia (Canada), Fiji, and Queensland (Australia) in the 19th and early 20th centuries. They also worked in California and Chile (see Easter Island and Rapanui people as related subjects).

More than 60,000 Islanders had been brought to Australia after 1863, and about 10,000 were living in Queensland and northern New South Wales in 1901. The majority of those were repatriated by the Australian Government between 1906 and 1908, under the Pacific Island Labourers Act 1901,[3] legislation that was an essential part of the White Australia policy. Some were exempted on various grounds, including marriage to Australians.

Kanaka (Pacific Island worker) - Wikipedia

Belgarion

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Australia
Perhaps not commonly known outside of Australia; We had a system of 'indentured labour'.From the nineteenth to early 20th century.

Those 'indentured' were South Sea islanders. We called them"kanakas'' .They were often kidnapped . This practice was called 'Black birding"

Australia's early race relations are nota source of pride.

Blackbirding involves the coercion of people through trickery and kidnapping to work as labourers. Generally, persons of European ancestry, or others being paid by them, coerced persons of non-European ancestry to work as labourers throughout the Southeast Pacific region. Blackbirders sought labourers for several major industries or plantations.

Blackbirding - Wikipedia

Some were eventually able to return home. Decades later, when it was decided we didn't want imported black people living here, many were deported , including some born here.

Kanakas were workers from various Pacific Islands employed in British colonies, such as British Columbia (Canada), Fiji, and Queensland (Australia) in the 19th and early 20th centuries. They also worked in California and Chile (see Easter Island and Rapanui people as related subjects).

More than 60,000 Islanders had been brought to Australia after 1863, and about 10,000 were living in Queensland and northern New South Wales in 1901. The majority of those were repatriated by the Australian Government between 1906 and 1908, under the Pacific Island Labourers Act 1901,[3] legislation that was an essential part of the White Australia policy. Some were exempted on various grounds, including marriage to Australians.

Kanaka (Pacific Island worker) - Wikipedia
I believe it was a condition of Queenslands entry into the Commonwealth that the practice be stopped and the workers repatriated. Not entirely for humanitarian reasons though, as it was thought cheap black labour would undercut white workers.

Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
One of the leading causes of the war of 1912 was the impressment of sailors from US naval vessels. These sailors were enslaved for a period 12 years and forced to serve on British naval vessels never being allowed to leave the ship for fear they would try to escape and never being paid for their service.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
One of the leading causes of the war of 1912 was the impressment of sailors from US naval vessels. These sailors were enslaved for a period 12 years and forced to serve on British naval vessels never being allowed to leave the ship for fear they would try to escape and never being paid for their service.

Wow! I had never heard about that Do you have any more details, or perhaps a link I can look at?

Sep 2013
Chattanooga, TN
Wow! I had never heard about that Do you have any more details, or perhaps a link I can look at?
It's the War of 1812, not the War of 1912. The stated reason for the war was the impressment of sailors from US Naval Vessels. The real reason for the war was an excuse to annex more land from other European countries.

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
It's the War of 1812, not the War of 1912. The stated reason for the war was the impressment of sailors from US Naval Vessels. The real reason for the war was an excuse to annex more land from other European countries.

Ah.I found it odd that I had missed an entire war.

Similar History Discussions