Whites/Europeans in Zambia and Malawi

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
What/when was the largest % of whites/Europeans in Zambia and Malawi? And yes, I am aware that Zimbabwe (or Rhodesia as it was known at one time) is historically known for having a notable white population; I am curious to know the extent of it in Zambia and Malawi.

Jan 2019
Norway
Zambia is just Northern Rhodesia. Malawi was another protectorate close to Rhodesia and governed by the British too. Around the 50s, Zimbabwe, Zambia and Malawi became one country known as "Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland".

As for the % of Whites, today it's
Zambia - less 0.5%
Malawi - less than 3.5%

In the past it was probably not much higher, considering that Malawi was just a protectorate, and Zambia wasn't a land where farmers settled, but a copper exporter(because of the deposits at Copperbelt).

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
Zambia is just Northern Rhodesia. Malawi was another protectorate close to Rhodesia and governed by the British too. Around the 50s, Zimbabwe, Zambia and Malawi became one country known as "Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland".

As for the % of Whites, today it's
Zambia - less 0.5%
Malawi - less than 3.5%

In the past it was probably not much higher, considering that Malawi was just a protectorate, and Zambia wasn't a land where farmers settled, but a copper exporter(because of the deposits at Copperbelt).
Figures for demographics of Malawi list 3.5% as other, presumably mostly Asian and European but what would be the actual numbers? If Europeans were even 1%, that would be almost 200,000; a rather large population.
Edit: I found an article from 1964 that states Malawi only had 8,000 whites, I doubt it increased by much. Presumably the majority of the 3.5% is other Africans and Asians.

Last edited: