Who are the shortest rulers in history?

srb7677

Ad Honorem
Dec 2010
Plymouth,UK
Both Hitler and Napoleon were short. Maybe they had complexes about it and were trying to over-compensate with a spot of megalomania? :lol:

Sephiroth

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
It is a Top Secret
Both Hitler and Napoleon were short. Maybe they had complexes about it and were trying to over-compensate with a spot of megalomania? :lol:
Yeah, in my psychology classes I learned short people are known to be more 'charismatic'. But not sure if this applies here as both were not that short in their respective timeperiods. Maybe Hitler was indeed shorter than ur usual 'aryan'. Also In the school I learned Hitler was the opposite of his 'aryan'-type, but on the internet, I learned he had striking blue eyes and blond hair is not that important.

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
No, neither Hitler nor Napoleon were particularly short. They just weren't towering giants.

(The question might actually be WHY it's supposed to be significant they were supposedly short, when they weren't. What is it about lack of stature that's somehow supposed to be significant in this respect? )

There's people out there doing research on leader height apparently. This is some of the latest to get published.
Statesmen and stature: how tall are our world leaders? | Datablog | News | The Guardian
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ExnQnpFTjVhWVIzeTZHcDNEOTM0bWc&hl=en_GB#gid=0

Mar 2014
Canterbury
Yeah, in my psychology classes I learned short people are known to be more 'charismatic'. But not sure if this applies here as both were not that short in their respective timeperiods. Maybe Hitler was indeed shorter than ur usual 'aryan'. Also In the school I learned Hitler was the opposite of his 'aryan'-type, but on the internet, I learned he had striking blue eyes and blond hair is not that important
Glad I'm not the only one who was stunned to see Hitler had blue eyes :lol: 'Blonde-haired, blue-eyed' wasn't his policy, though, just an ideal. A bit like how Nazis always sculpted men with bronzed abs, but torsos like Hitler's - which probably looked like a mass of disappointed rainclouds trying to squeeze into a train carriage - were still allowed.

There's people out there doing research on leader height apparently. This is some of the latest to get published
America seems to have a fascination with leaders over six-foot. Probably, in presidential systems where a prospective leader is beamed into the television sets of households across the electorate or printed in their newspapers, it helps to have a 'commanding' presence. The UK does the same (because here the Prime Minister is the face of government, I guess, where in other countries he's one of many) but hasn't elected any true giants. Our leaders are also unique in getting shorter after wars.

Last edited:
Oct 2013
Montreal, QC
King Charles I of Great Britain and Ireland reached only around 5'4 when he was fully grown. From The Sickly Stuarts: "From measurements taken from his armour it can be deduced that he ultimately attained an adult height of about 5 feet 4 inches (162 centimetres), surely short for a grown man even in his time." His Queen, Henrietta-Maria, made Charles seem relatively tall.

From Christopher Hibbert's excellent biography on Charles I, here is an assessment of Henrietta-Maria's height:

Certainly, Lord Kensington found much to praise [about Henrietta-Maria]... 'The loveliest creature in France and the sweetest thing in Nature... for Beauty and Goodness an Angel... Her growth,' he added, although she would scarcely reach [Charles'] shoulder, 'is very little short of her age..."

Charles' reaction to seeing his bride was quite interesting. (From Hibbert).

[Charles'] gaze kept returning to her feet and this she thought must be because he found her taller than he had expected; he was so slight himself she did, indeed, not feel so small... Suddenly she pulled up the hem of her dress to show him that she was not wearing pattens. 'Sir,' she said, 'I stand upon my own feet; I have no helps by art; thus high am I; neither higher nor lower.

Interestingly enough, the three sons that came from this royal coupling were all at least 6 feet tall (James II, Henry of Gloucester). One of their children, Charles II, ranked in at about 6'4. It was most likely from Charles' side of the family; his mother was fairly tall (being a Dane), and his grandmother was Mary Queen of Scots, who was also a tall lady.

Last edited:
Oct 2013
Montreal, QC
Glad I'm not the only one who was stunned to see Hitler had blue eyes :lol: 'Blonde-haired, blue-eyed' wasn't his policy, though, just an ideal. A bit like how Nazis always sculpted men with bronzed abs, but torsos like Hitler's - which probably looked like a mass of disappointed rainclouds trying to squeeze into a train carriage - were still allowed.
Harsh, Dom... Harsh. :lol:

The UK does the same (because here the Prime Minister is the face of government, I guess, where in other countries he's one of many) but hasn't elected any true giants. Our leaders are also unique in getting shorter after wars.
I imagine a giant would be relative to their time era? I know that both Richard I and Charles II were both 6'4, which is a remarkable height, even today. Both men towered over their court -- well, Richard would have, if he ever stayed in England -- and were exceptionally tall for their time eras. It's actually fascinating concerning Charles, seeing how his father barely passed 5 foot, and his mother, 4 foot. :lol: Not technically a giant, but still a strapping fellow. Henry VIII wasn't a slight man either, clocking in at around 500lbs and 6'2. :think: That's a bit nasty...

King George IV was a very short man, and a very stout man, too; five feet tall, and had to wear a corset at his coronation to make himself look better... Even though it didn't really work, and George still looked as fat as ever.

MAGolding

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
On the topic of fetus rulers - Emperor Shapur the First of Sassanid Persia was hailed as such while his mother was pregnant with him; a crown was placed on her belly during the coronation ceremony.
At least, that is what one legend claims, that he was crowned in uterus because the astrologers predicted he would be male. It seems to me the astrologers would have been very brave to risk their lives on a 50/50 chance of being correct.

Similar History Discussions