Who are the shortest rulers in history?

MAGolding

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
The basileos Alexandros IV of Makedonia was another foetus ruler (as long as he were a male).

There have been myriad additional child rulers like (in approximate chronological order):

Pharaoh Ahmose I
Pharaoh Amenhotep III
Pharaoh Thutmose III
Pharaoh Tutankhamun

King Labashi-Marduk of Babylon
Basileos Amyntas IV of Makedonia
Antioxos V Eupator of Syria
Ptolemaios XIII Theos Philopator of Egypt
Emperor VA Bassianus (aka Elagabalus)
Emperor MA Severus Alexander
Shah Shapur II
Emperor MOA Diadumenianus

Emperor Romulus Augustulus
Emperor Leo II
King Alaric II of the Visigoths

Shah Ardashir III
Emperor Alexios II Kommenos
King Baldwin V of Montferrat, of Jerusalem
King Edward VI Tudor of England
Tsar Peter II Romanov
Tsar Ivan VI Romanov
This list is very, very short.

Also you have some of the titles wrong. The title of Shapur II and Ardashir III was Shahanshah, not Shah; King of Kings, not king.

Here is a link to a Wikipedia list of lists about child monarchs and rulers. Category:Child rulers - Wikipedia And probably none of the lists it links to are complete.

Jan 2019
Montreal, QC
What was the height of his younger brother James?
Charles I didn't have a younger brother named James. Charles II did, however. Old Rowley was over 6 foot (around 6'2 or 6'3) and James was tall enough, too. Shorter than Charles, but that's not too remarkable.

1549329920323.png

On a side note, any portrait of Charles without his signature moustache makes me deeply uncomfortable. There's something about this painting I don't quite like. Compared to other portraits of the brothers, this one is flat and kind of ugly.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Charles I didn't have a younger brother named James. Charles II did, however. Old Rowley was over 6 foot (around 6'2 or 6'3) and James was tall enough, too. Shorter than Charles, but that's not too remarkable.

View attachment 15408

On a side note, any portrait of Charles without his signature moustache makes me deeply uncomfortable. There's something about this painting I don't quite like. Compared to other portraits of the brothers, this one is flat and kind of ugly.
How tall was Charles II himself?

Also, Yes, I'll admit that I mistakenly read "Charles II" when you wrote "Charles I." Sorry about that.

Jan 2019
Montreal, QC
How tall was Charles II himself?

Also, Yes, I'll admit that I mistakenly read "Charles II" when you wrote "Charles I." Sorry about that.
All we know for a fact was that he was at least 6'0. Some reports in the 1650s said he was about 2m tall, others had him down at 2 yards. The high end of the estimate would be 6'4. He had actually ended up hitting his head on the doorjamb when he went to visit Sir Christopher Wren, and then complained that the ceilings were too low. Then again, not only was he quite tall, high heeled shoes were also all the rage, so I don't imagine that artificial height helped him much.

I've yet to see it in person, but there's a wax effigy of Old Rowley in Westminster.

1549331315965.png

A long-haired man with a mustache and wearing battle armor. Every straight woman's dream, I would imagine? ;)
Alas and alack, probably not anymore. :nerd:

Similar History Discussions