Who defeated Japan in the 2nd World War?

Jun 2019
Taiga
Why did the Japanese Emperor not order surrender after the nuclear bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki?
He gave only messages in the media, but not to the Army. Most of the Japanese did not understand what it was about ...
==========
The order of surrender was transferred to the Japanese troops after another event ...
What was this event?

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
I don't know if I should answer all this. The US and UK defeated Japan. Certainly China didn't. They could have agreed to peace a year earlier, but the US was insisting on unconditional surrender.

The Soviet invasion of Manchuria did have an impact, particularly because the Japanese much preferred to surrender to the US than the Soviet Union.

Jun 2019
Taiga
I wonder what the British did near Japan? I have never heard that the British were at war with Japan ...
-------
the Americans broke the navy and air force of Japan.
----
but they did not fight the Kwantung Army.
Stalin made a promise to Roosevelt and Churchill that he would start a war with Japan at the Yalta Conference.
Soviet troops defeated the 1.5 millionth Japanese army in 2 weeks.
Then Emperor Hirohito ordered the troops to surrender.

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
I wonder what the British did near Japan? I have never heard that the British were at war with Japan ...
Then obviously you don't know much about what you are posting about. I don't know a lot about it, but at the same time the Japanese attacked Hawaii and invaded the Philippines they invaded British territory in Malaysia and Singapore, and initially the Japanese won spectacular victories. There was naval conflict between Britain and Japan, and fighting in Burma and elsewhere. Millions of Indian and Australian soldiers also were involved.

Aug 2016
US&A
the Americans broke the navy and air force of Japan.
----
but they did not fight the Kwantung Army.
We fought elements of the Imperial Japanese Army that were stationed on the islands we invaded. Many of our opponents were transferred from the Kwantung army.

We didn't have an easy way of landing large amounts of troops in China, but we did provide some aid.

There were volunteer American pilots, called the Flying Tigers, that fought for the Chinese. We gave the Chinese lend-lease (though not as much as most of our allies). We had military advisors helping the Chinese.

Feb 2016
Japan
The US mostly, but British and Empire troops were a huge part of it, the Chinese didn’t beat them but certainly kept them busy.
The Soviets piled in at the end, after they were doomed.

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
The US destroyed the Japanese navy and air force and kept taking islands until it was in position to invade Japan. Japan had to keep a huge force fighting in China. Britain lost initially like the US and then invaded Japanese occupied British territory, mostly using Indian, Australian, and African forces, which made sense for various reasons. I would say China had more impact than Britain. The Soviet Union took territory very quickly in August, 1945, as the Japanese mostly just surrendered, knowing the war was over, and there was no point fighting a large well equipped army.

Feb 2019
Serbia
The order of surrender was transferred to the Japanese troops after another event ...
What was this event?
Are you saying that the Soviet Invasion of Manchuria was the event that defeated Japan? If so I have to disagree.

The USA defeated Japan, sinking their navy, taking their islands and bombing them in the end. Britain and its Empire defeated Japan too, in Burma, New Guinea and partially in the Pacific. China fought Japan and tied up a good chunk of their forces but I wouldn't say that they defeated them. The Kwantung Army collapsed because Japan was about to surrender.This is as brief as I can put it.

Similar History Discussions