Who did most to defeat the Axis? Britain, the US or the USSR?

Who did most to defeat the Axis?

• The British Empire

Votes: 10 13.7%
  • The US

Votes: 9 12.3%
  • The USSR

Votes: 52 71.2%
  • Other (China?)

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters
May 2011
Navan, Ireland
A mention of Australia favorite pom ,
William Slim a soldier general who is largely forgotten in spite of being by far the best of the bunch
he did the exceptional as routine and the impossible when needed
with a second rate motley crew which he forged into a first class conquering army
few could equal him , none surpass

Read several books in which he features and one of the impressive things about him was pointed out by a couple of writers.

Whenever they talked to veterans of his armies they all ,almost without fail, described themselves as 'being with Slim in Burma' or 'fighting with Slim in Burma' --- now I am not sure that he went into the frontline any more than any other general but he convinced his men that he was 'with them'.

At Kohima-Imphal he made a mistake and the Japanese surprised him--- he didn't hide the fact, he told the troops he'd made a mistake and needed time to rectify it -- time they would buy with their lives -- to which the troops responded with 'fair enough'.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
every soldier understand that the job of a general is not to indulge in showy display
Slim took care of his men ,their welfare was a major concern for him .
they noticed , were grateful and under his positive leadership gave him their best

Dec 2011
every soldier understand that the job of a general is not to indulge in showy display
Slim took care of his men ,their welfare was a major concern for him .
they noticed , were grateful and under his positive leadership gave him their best
I always liked George McDonald Fraser's account of Slim giving a speech to the troops and as he's leaving someone calls out 'We'll follows you anywhere General'. So Slim turns around and smiles at him and says 'No son, you'll be a long way in front of me'.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
He had a lot of "street cred " with the Australians for his for forthwith manners and having been shot at and wounded three times in actual fighting
one of them being Gallipoli