Who do you think Jack the Ripper was?

Aug 2012
I believe he was a policeman.
To kill two women in one night in so small an area - with cops EVERYWHERE, including undercover officers - would surely be impossible for a commoner, or even a man in the professional classes like a doctor or surgeon. Only a police officer could go from place to place, not arouse suspicion, and never be questioned as to their close proximity to a crime scene.

Reactions: sparky

jackydee

Ad Honorem
Jan 2013
Brigadoon
Im a long time amateur student of the case. Firstly, let me say, no-one knows who Jack the Ripper was. Anyone saying otherwise is lying. Secondly, be very very wary of modern authors who claim a non-contemporary suspect committed the crimes. If the police at the time couldn't solve the crimes a 20th century author certain cannot

I think we can certainly point to certain characteristics the killer had. He was probably a working class local. His victims were mostly the lowest of the low and contained within a small geographic area. This suggests he himself was fairly low class(he was not in a poisition to accost & murder a high class prostitute). And he was stuck to wandering Whitechapel. He did not have the means or motive to travel far. Assuming Whitechapel was filled with police latterly during his crime spree he certainly would have found it easier to murder just a mile or two away. He may or may not have been a Polish Jew.

Dec 2016
United Kingdom
I believe he was a policeman.
To kill two women in one night in so small an area - with cops EVERYWHERE, including undercover officers - would surely be impossible for a commoner, or even a man in the professional classes like a doctor or surgeon. Only a police officer could go from place to place, not arouse suspicion, and never be questioned as to their close proximity to a crime scene.
That's a very interesting theory. It's not something which has crossed my mind. Though it seems so obvious. As, I have often wondered about the events of Mitre Square. How could Jack both murder and escape within that square, when it was surrounded by police.

If he was a policeman, he may have had first had knowledge of the case. If he was working on it. But, even at that, if Jack the Ripper was a policeman, it would have gave him a lot of insight into police movements. Patrols. Possibly information.