Who do you think Jack the Ripper was?

paranoid marvin

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
uk
Yes, off hand one of the policemen who came down a ginnel of Mitre Square had a lamp, but he didn't see anything as it obviously only carried light to a short distance. There's a decent chance his lamp missed the murder or the body after the murder.
Thanks, though I was referring more to the possibility of the Ripper being a copper. Personally I don't think he was, and if policemen carried lanterns that would make it less likely; that plus the fact that his uniform would be covered in blood and gore.

Personally I think the actual killer was likely none of those mentioned; just an ordinary punter with a fascination for the female anatomy who decided to carry out his sick fantasies. When he had done pretty much everything he needed to do with his last victim he had nowhere further to go and so wemt back to his ordinary life. I also find it hard to believe that the message on the wall had anything to do with the Ripper.

Fiver

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
I don't think there's a connection, myself. Holmes seemed like a very meticulous control freak. To go off and commit such reckless murders in an uncontrolled environment seems out of character.
Agreed. Holmes also killed for profit; the Ripper did not. Holmes tried to conceal his victims bodies; the Ripper did not. Holmes appears to have used poison or gas to kill his victims; the Ripper used a knife.

Fiver

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Thanks, though I was referring more to the possibility of the Ripper being a copper. Personally I don't think he was, and if policemen carried lanterns that would make it less likely; that plus the fact that his uniform would be covered in blood and gore.

Personally I think the actual killer was likely none of those mentioned; just an ordinary punter with a fascination for the female anatomy who decided to carry out his sick fantasies. When he had done pretty much everything he needed to do with his last victim he had nowhere further to go and so wemt back to his ordinary life. I also find it hard to believe that the message on the wall had anything to do with the Ripper.
I agree that the Ripper was not a policeman - they had set beats and being far from them would be suspicious. People don't want the Ripper to have been just some guy, that's not glamorous and it doesn't sell any books, but that's probably exactly who he was. Since hundreds of people have been named as the Ripper, the real killer might have been mentioned, but he's certainly not one of the popular suspects. (Of course most of the popular suspects are accused by hoaxes and/or have alibis.) I agree that the graffito had nothing to do with the Ripper - too many people try to look at real crime as if it was a whodunit.

Reactions: Futurist
Sep 2019
Lol uh no
Who do you think Jack the Ripper was? And why?
I think Jack could be a police, yes. And that would explain him understanding human anatomy well, considering a higher rank may need to watch peoppe be disected very often. But I think more about the motive. Why would a simple police officer gut prostitutes and if he was just going to sabotage the game, why would he leave clues? Not to mention, I think he needed his wits about him if he was going to be this hard to catch. Police were brutal back then more so than now, but they weren't stupid. There were many hard cases the police force easily cracked after short amounts of time and some that would puzzle police today even with fancy technology. I think this man had a motive and I don't agree with what some are claiming on other sites about the killer being a schizophrenic barber either.
I would say Jack did this to make a point. And his point was so strong that it would make sense for his perspective to live on today even if those believing it that belief do not know or care about him. That thought I think might be "Pro-life".

Jack didn't just kill 'people'. And he didn't just 'kill' people either. Jack dissected prostitute women, then very very carefully pulled out their innards. In a way, that is what prostitutes do with abortions. And at this time prositution was a very popular choice that women were making on their own as well because it was considered a way for any woman to get on her own feet and be strong and independent on her own. There was a pride and beauty to it to women of that age, even if it was only beautiful to them and not those that looked at them. And to this day there are women who would rather have children and easily kill them and continue because it seems easier. Birth pills weren't a thing as far as I'm aware and at this time there were many methods that didn't involve dying necessarily. Theories rather.

Now back to jack I suppose. If Jack was pro-life and had knowledge of human anatomy it leads me to think about why he might feel so strongly about it. There are many many people a woman might go to for an abortion since these were mere theories and back-alley operations I believe, but the first person I feel most people would go to is in fact, a doctor. If not the person who agrees to do it, at the very least, they would probably take the chances and beg to have it done. I assume, especially if he lived near a madame house, there were many upon more requests for him to remove the child and if he disagreed, they would have probably gone elsewhere to get it done. Knowing these people would skewer a life before it has lived so that they have fine clothing could aggrivate a person after enough time.

If we were to delve even deeper in cause, I would even dare to say he wanted a child himself and for one reason or some other, he was not able to have one of his own. Perhaps his wife aborted theirs, or was unable to have one, or perhaps he was unable to attract a lady himself.

Still for me that seems the most reasonable. And I believe the reason he left these clues was not to play a game maybe, not to be a grand showsman maybe as well, but to make a very strong point and to rally.

But one motive alone is rarely enough to make a man this deadly, which is why I would say 2 more probable causes:

1. It is also possible he was, or knew, a soldier that was killed by a disease from them. I only say this because before 1864 brothel women often would give soldiers disease and that disease would kill them or leave them unable to fight ever again. By 1864 they made an act that required all prostitutes be checked for disease before going near any naval base. I doubt every single prostitute that got to a military man, or anone else really, was checked 100% well for such a thing. So I'd find it possible jack was friends with or related to someone killed by disease spread that way.

2. Given what I've just said, another possibility is that Jack had a love, friend, or relative that was assumed a prostitute when near a naval base as treated poorly and he blamed prostitues for this. At the time most of the police force actually was ex-military. So in the case that he did hope to bother military or those eho back them had been involved in the matter, this would make the most sense.

I have many theories, these are just my strongest. I hope you see some interest in them.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
One thing seems certain to me , the ripper was very familiar with the locations
certainly a man and very probably a white British of some education

Mar 2019
Kansas
One thing seems certain to me , the ripper was very familiar with the locations
certainly a man and very probably a white British of some education
Friends of mine while staying in London did a Jack the Ripper tour. The guide kept telling the group to look in certain direction at each kill site. Towards the end, my friend realized all the killings occurred within sight of a single pub

Jan 2019
Dublin, Ohio
Friends of mine while staying in London did a Jack the Ripper tour. The guide kept telling the group to look in certain direction at each kill site. Towards the end, my friend realized all the killings occurred within sight of a single pub
Do you remember the name of the pub?

Davidius

Ad Honorem
Dec 2010
Pillium