Who doesn't believe in vaccines?

Jun 2016
England, 200 yards from Wales
This is shocking:
The countries that trust vaccines the least

Europe is one of the regions of the world where vaccines are distrusted the most.
Shocking indeed. I have seen it suggested that it is the areas of the world where these horrible diseases have largely disappeared (thanks to vaccines) that fall for these scare stories. We no longer have the experience of what vaccines are protecting us from, so some people discount that and listen to rumours of dangers associated with vaccines.
Of course vaccines aren't 100% safe, nothing is, but without that experience of the diseases people don't really understand how very much more dangerous it is to be unvaccinated.

Jun 2018
New Hampshire
Part of a government plot to spy upon their citizens and artificially lower their lifespan. I abstain from any and all vaccinations and haven't even gotten a cold in well over a decade.

Jan 2019
Montreal, QC
First and foremost, I'd like to say that I'm overwhelmingly libertarian. People should be able to do what they want to do, so long as they're not hurting anyone, and the government should stay out of their business. However, I wholeheartedly believe that vaccines should be 100% mandatory. If you don't get vaccinated, then you shouldn't be allowed to go into public. Not even just not allowing unvaccinated children to go to school. You shouldn't even be allowed into public areas. If you're so daft as to not vaccinate and your child catches some devastating disease and dies from it, you should go to prison for murder. Simple as. It's 2019. We shouldn't be having mass measles outbreaks, yet here we are.

Also, the whole autism-vaccine link is absolutely appalling to me. As someone who with HFA, I have made the Dean's List twice, am a member of an international honours society, have been published twice, and am a full-time student. The fact that someone would rather have a dead child or one hooked up to an iron lung rather than have one who is different sickens me to the core. 40% of people with ASD are of above-average intelligence. Treating them like they're the result of some medical anomaly is appalling, and anyone who genuinely subscribes to that idea should be ashamed of themselves.

Jan 2015
Front Lines of the Pig War
First and foremost, I'd like to say that I'm overwhelmingly libertarian. People should be able to do what they want to do, so long as they're not hurting anyone, and the government should stay out of their business. However, I wholeheartedly believe that vaccines should be 100% mandatory.
Now if only they could vaccinate against stupidity.... :winktongue:

511awK5COFL._SX311_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Oct 2009
San Diego
Secondly, I find it slightly ignorant or hopeful to a fault to state that small pox, measles, pertussis, etc.. have been eradicated or that the cure has been found. We're dealing with living organisms, or at least, organism like agents. When antibiotics were first implemented, people similarly thought that a cure for bacterial diseases had been discovered. We now live in an age of a medical arms race due to bacterial resistance to our antibiotics which has produced entirely new diseases.
Diseases like smallpox CAN be eradicated. They ONLY reproduce in the human body- from the moment they evolved, they existed as a population of virus particles that was constantly reproducing in some human, somewhere, at any given time... waves of outbreaks circling the globe like a neverending tsunami.
When the last human being to be infected died- without infecting anyone else... the virus was entirely gone. ( except for samples kept frozen in labs )
If we could reliably eradicate every single sample of the virus stored in labs around the world- the virus would be entirely extinct.

That is not to say new, potentially lethal viruses can not evolve in the future- but they would not be smallpox.

Oct 2009
San Diego
Of course I am pro vaccine.

People who are antivaccine are profoundly ignorant and not only should their kids be vaccinated- the parents should be re-educated.

But, I suppose I could support a full freedom of folks to NOT get vaccinated- as long as those unvaccinated are deported to some leper colony somewhere where they can all enjoy trying to treat easily preventable diseases with homeopathy and other foolish superstitions.

Jul 2012
Dhaka
Just remove multiple vaccines in one shot (like MMR) from vaccination regimes, and opposition to vaccines would be nearly gone. I wonder why this simple solution is doggedly refused by governments and pharmaceutical companies.