Who doesn't believe in vaccines?

arkteia

Ad Honorem
Nov 2012
Seattle
I think the whole issue is this belief crap. Evidence base medicine does not have any belief crap anywhere in it. It has been shown to work and the minimal risks are rare or way better than dying of polio. The companies should be liable though if they make a bad batch that causes gullian barre syndrome or what have you just like any bad product should make a producer liable
So maybe we should stop fighting the parents, and merely start educating the kids about vaccines, at schools? I mean, just because they have stupid parents, does not mean kids are stupid. Bypass this idiotic group of parents and deal with kids. They have the right to take own decisions about contraception, why not about vaccines?

M.S. Islam

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Dhaka
The original claim wasn't that vaccines for Measles, Mumps, or Rubella cause Autism; rather the claim was that a certain agent (mercury?) used to combine these three vaccines in one shot creates a condition that triggers the onset of Autism.

It was a valid claim in my opinion. And I am dead against combining multiple vaccines in one shot. I have had my kids innoculated at one vaccine at a time, with gaps in between.

M.S. Islam

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Dhaka
In Denmark, the State's Serum Institute has made two studies to find a link between autism and MMR-vaccination.

One in 2002, where the State's Serum Institute and Aarhus University conducted a very large study with a total of 537,303 children.

And a new one where SSI's study comprises a total of 657,461 children born between 1999 and 2010. They have been followed, from the age of one year to August 2013, and the researchers have linked information from the Population Register with data from the Danish Vaccination Register (DDV), statements of autism diagnoses etc.

Of the 657,461 children, 6,517 children were diagnosed with autism while they were part of the study.

Autism appeared to be equally common among children who had been vaccinated with MMR and 31,619 children who were not.

The researchers have also corrected for different risk parameters and has not found any indication of vulnerable children were more likely to develop autism, which could somehow coincide with the vaccination.

So none of these studies have found a link between MMR vaccination and autism.

These results have just been published in the scientific journal Annals of Internal Medicine.

The Danish state owns SSI, which was founded 1902 with the goal of producing a serum for the treatment of patients with diphtheria.

Today it is a biotechnological research, production and service company for the prevention, control and control of infectious diseases and congenital disorders.
Was CDC (of USA) involved in that 2002 study?

Mar 2014
Lithuania
I am not sure if I eve had vaccine against multiple diseases. But I have had something like 8 vaccines in 2 weeks when going to work as a sailor. I am very much for generous gaps between vaccination. :) Still, parents that don't let their children to be vaccinated create public hazard and need to be punished in some way. I don't think that vaccines should be forced upon people, but some restrictions might be wise: not be able to attend public schools, kindergartens, travel etc...

Aug 2018
Southern Indiana
I am not sure if I eve had vaccine against multiple diseases. But I have had something like 8 vaccines in 2 weeks when going to work as a sailor. I am very much for generous gaps between vaccination. :) Still, parents that don't let their children to be vaccinated create public hazard and need to be punished in some way. I don't think that vaccines should be forced upon people, but some restrictions might be wise: not be able to attend public schools, kindergartens, travel etc...
If you've been vaccinated, you mostly likely had the MMR vaccine.

Nov 2018
Denmark
You are wrong, I just cross-checked. The research was conducted with funds granted by CDC. The principal investigator for that study was indicted in the US for fraud:

AUTISM RESEARCHER INDICTED FOR STEALING GRANT MONEY
It does not immediately appear if you only search for Danish Serum Institute, but it is true that if you search for Poul Thorsen then a lot of information appears.

It is doubtless, why Danish Serum Institute has created a new survey. Even though Poul Thorsen has not made any research fraud.

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
I think we as consumers have the right to demand that expensive medications and vaccines produced by our pharmaceutical campaigns are of the best quality, and extensively tested. That CDC hires smart people, and not someone who could not make it into a nurse. That there is more transparency about side effects of medications. Would this make sense?
The problem with medicine in general is that a lot is hidden (and I don't mean by design, it is just the way it goes) from the public. With vaccines this is a real problem as basically everyone either needs to get one or has children who do. For that I think you need to be way more open in your communications.

However you do have to keep in mind that people usually never inform themselves beforehand ;)

Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
I have a scar, but i believe it's from the BCG vaccine.

It must be similar to mine, it was in my first year of elementary school I was 6 years old, who gave me the vaccine in the arm, still today I have the mark.

I am in favor of vaccines, recently Portugal and some countries have sent vaccines to Mozambique

Similar History Discussions