Who exactly was the better Austro-Hungarian Emperor?

Who exactly was the better Austro-Hungarian Emperor?

• Total voters

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
FJI, of course, then a long time nothing and then Karl. That's how I see it. FJI was Emperor/King ruled a long time, he was the face of Austria-Hungary, Karl wasn't. Speaking from the perspective of my nation (ethincity, if you want), Slovenes were deeply loyal to FJI. They probably would be to Karl aswell, but less than 3 years of rule were a bit of too short a time to judge, especially in the middle of a great war. Plus, I can't go past Karl's attitude towards us. When decorating some officers on one occasion, one of them was first lieutenant Maks Peterlin. After decorating the officers, Emperor Karl shook everyone's hand and talked a few words to them. When he got to Peterlin, he asked the men with him, who he was. They told him he was a Slovene and that was reason enough for Karl to simply walk past, not even shaking hands. I don't know what FJI would have done in the same situation, but I like to think he would act differently. For me the only good things of Karl's were his son Otto, the Truppenkreuz and leaving all the coastal fortifications to the State of SHS as a present (like he would actually carry them away :rolleyes: ). So, obviously I'm gonna vote for Franz Joseph I.

Like others already mentioned, the titles Emperor of Austria and Apostolic King of Hungary were separate. On his visits to Hungary, when officially acting like the Hungarian King, they would also dress differently, usually wearing a Hussar uniform, which I think looks far more badass than the boring white Waffenrock (no good pictures of Karl, but the uniform's the same, so ...).

Feb 2013
Second City
Franz Josef was an idiot who did more damage to the Habsburg empire the longer he lived. He never learned from his mistakes, the center of his policy was appeasing a mutinous Magyar nobility bent on deliberately hobbling the Dual Monarchy, and he was otherwise a dunderheaded waste of epaulettes.
Ask yourself, how many people believed that Russia would intervene in the war against such small, poor and irrelevant country like Serbia?
Um, anybody who bothered to notice Russia backing the overthrow of the Obrenović dynasty and replacing it with a Russian client?

Tsar

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
Serbia
Um, anybody who bothered to notice Russia backing the overthrow of the Obrenović dynasty and replacing it with a Russian client?
No, Wikipedia is not a good source to learn history of Serbia from.

MAGolding

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
...Like others already mentioned, the titles Emperor of Austria and Apostolic King of Hungary were separate. On his visits to Hungary, when officially acting like the Hungarian King, they would also dress differently, usually wearing a Hussar uniform, which I think looks far more badass than the boring white Waffenrock (no good pictures of Karl, but the uniform's the same, so ...).

I don't approve of royalty wearing drab modern civilian dress, but I also don't approve of royalty wearing military uniforms, no matter how splendid and Ruritanian.

I think that royalty should wear robes with their coats of arms when at work or whenever making public appearances. Such a heraldic robe, worn over other clothing, would have one copy of the coat of arms on the front, one copy on the back, and one copy on each of the arms.

In fact medieval illustrations of French kings often depict them wearing blue robes semi of yellow fleu-di-lis, and occasionally other kings and nobles were depicted in heraldic robes.

And a monarch could wear a heraldic cloak over his robes with an even bigger depiction of the coat of arms.

Here is a link to a depiction of the 19th century coat of arms of the Kingdom of Hungary.

Hungary

And links to the coat of arms of the Austrian Empire:

House of Habsburg - Wikipedia

Stock Photo - heraldry, coat of arms, Austria, great state coat of arms of the Empire of Austria, wood engraving, 2nd half 19th century, shield, shields, supporter, supporters, griffin

Obviously it would be easy to tell them apart.

This painting of emperor Charles V entering Bologna for his coronation in 1530 show shim wearing a cape with his imperial coat of arms.

The Territorial Inheritance of the Habsburg Emperor Charles V - World History

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
I don't approve of royalty wearing drab modern civilian dress, but I also don't approve of royalty wearing military uniforms, no matter how splendid and Ruritanian.

I think that royalty should wear robes with their coats of arms when at work or whenever making public appearances. Such a heraldic robe, worn over other clothing, would have one copy of the coat of arms on the front, one copy on the back, and one copy on each of the arms.

In fact medieval illustrations of French kings often depict them wearing blue robes semi of yellow fleu-di-lis, and occasionally other kings and nobles were depicted in heraldic robes.

And a monarch could wear a heraldic cloak over his robes with an even bigger depiction of the coat of arms.

Here is a link to a depiction of the 19th century coat of arms of the Kingdom of Hungary.

Hungary

And links to the coat of arms of the Austrian Empire:

House of Habsburg - Wikipedia

Stock Photo - heraldry, coat of arms, Austria, great state coat of arms of the Empire of Austria, wood engraving, 2nd half 19th century, shield, shields, supporter, supporters, griffin

Obviously it would be easy to tell them apart.

This painting of emperor Charles V entering Bologna for his coronation in 1530 show shim wearing a cape with his imperial coat of arms.

The Territorial Inheritance of the Habsburg Emperor Charles V - World History
I think a lot of people would consider that a bit too archaic or too fancy. Most monarchs today are nothing more than figureheads although they perform state duties like visits, representing the country etc. Most of those countries are democracies and statesmen usually dress in suits and dresses. Society changed since the time kings wore robes, the dresscodes changed and most of all the role of kings changed. I think wearing formal suits and white tie is more than fine or official dinners and similar events where etiquette requires it and less formal suits when doing other stuff. The Prince of Wales is a good example of that, imo he has great taste when it comes to clothes. I think they should wear military uniforms only when performing duties of either the Commander in Chief or a Colonel of a unit. And perhaps in war, to show support for their army, if it's a deffensive war or so.

Similar History Discussions