Who had bigger impact – the ostro(goths) on the Italian Peninsula or the slavs on Balkans?

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
This seems mostly one sided. The slavs changed the ethnicity, language, religion and political makeup of the Balkans; whereas the Ostrogoth have relatively little impact on Italy by themselves.

Nov 2010
Cornwall
The Ostrogoths were a powerful but very transitory thing, very transitory indeed. In fact, though I'm not an expert on Italy, did they have much of a legacy apart from the tomb of Theodoric the Great and his artwork? Their demise was farily comprehensive.

Slavs are still there in the Balkans aren't they?

Feb 2015
south Slavic guy
According to Hitler's theory the goths were the great conquirors and slavs were turf, deprived people.

Yet Slavs contributed to the creation of 6.. or 7 modern states on the Balkans. Ostrogoths invaded most of what is today Italy, but not for a long period of time. Then they were driven off from the peninsula as far as I know. Althought the tricky thing here might be that the Slavs have been under foreign influence for most of their history while the Ostrogoths were the ruling class and were more organized.

As an overall impact though, Slavs still remained a big factor on the Balkans that had long lastic effect on the Peninsula to this day.

I'm not sure what provinces could be considered Gothic in Italy?

Nov 2010
Cornwall
According to Hitler's theory the goths were the great conquirors and slavs were turf, deprived people.

Yet Slavs contributed to the creation of 6.. or 7 modern states on the Balkans. Ostrogoths invaded most of what is today Italy, but not for a long period of time. Then they were driven off from the peninsula as far as I know. Althought the tricky thing here might be that the Slavs have been under foreign influence for most of their history while the Ostrogoths were the ruling class and were more organized.

As an overall impact though, Slavs still remained a big factor on the Balkans that had long lastic effect on the Peninsula to this day.

To cut a long story - which you can read anytime on Wiki - short, the Ostrogoths of the mighty Theodoric the Great defeated the incumbent 'Emperor' Odoacre, who had usurped Romulus Augustus and basically took over what remained of the Empire. By a coincidental turn of events, this also included sway over the Visigoths (SW Gaul, much of Hispania) . North Africa though was still in the hands of the Vandals. Whilst the Ostrogoths were all-powerful on land at this time, they could neither match the Vandals by sea (where they had zero capability) nor bring that power to bear against them.

They were destroyed - not 'driven off' as far as we know - by a lengthy and extremely bloody campaign by Belisarius (and successors) and the Empire of Justinian the Great (the gothic wars). Though, in true 'barbarian' amalgamation fashion, Ostrogothic hierarchy was migrating toward the Visigoths from Italy and Gaul as things took a turn for the worse. It is believed this hierarchy was of such rank to reinforce the whole Visigothic nobility and that Leovigildo himself - who united/created the Visigothic Kingdom of Toledo - was possibly of part-Ostrogothic descent

The Lombards would have absorbed any remnants hanging about, though like the Alans in the early 5th century and the Vandals and Swabians in the 6th, the Ostrogoths ceased to exist

macon

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Slovenia

Slavs made only on Balkan 2 Bulgarian and one Serbian empire, and also one of the greatest empires: Russian. They were a late comers and that was all. Hitler was a retard also in his comprehension of history.

Overall Germanic unfluence in Italy is much smaller than slavic in Balkans and Langobards left much more legacy in Italy than Ostrogoths.

Jan 2015
Bosnia and Herzegovina
It's not even a contest. Slavic culture is still the most dominant in the Balkans whereas the Goths are merely a footnote in Italian history. I doubt they even get much attention in Italian schools since it wasn't a very long period.

Perhaps a more appropriate comparison would be Germanic influence in Italy and Slavic in the Balkans?

Sep 2012
Bulgaria
Their western brethren were the first to sack Imperial Rome in 410. Totila did the same 100+ years later. In the mid IIIrd century on the Balkans Decius was killed fighting Goths near Abritus and they sacked Philippopolis afterwards. In similar way 100+ years later Valens died fighting the Goths near Adrianople.

Impact on what? The provinces of the empire on the Balkan and Italian peninsula, their legacy? What?