who invented or created the republic type of government? or the original republic government?

May 2015
Texas
I figured I would ask here, not sure where to post these questions. I looked on the internet and found 2 contradictions about who created the republican form of government. 1 stated some roman guy and the second source stated a classical or ancient Greek person. so witch one is it?

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
I figured I would ask here, not sure where to post these questions. I looked on the internet and found 2 contradictions about who created the republican form of government. 1 stated some roman guy and the second source stated a classical or ancient Greek person. so witch one is it?
The answer will ikely depend of your definition of "Republican Form Of Government".

Reactions: Olleus

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
The word itself is Latin [Res Publica, Public Thing].

But if we think to the conceptualization of a form of government where the sovereignty belongs to the People who exercises it for the general wealth and wellness respecting stated rules [not exactly a pure democracy which tends to privilege the mass and this usually means the low classes] ... the "Politia" [from Politeia] by Aristoteles comes to my mind.

Reactions: Tulius
Mar 2018
UK
It's probably a "time immemorial" thing, at least of levels of tribal government. A council of respected elders implicitly (or explicitly) chosen from amongst the tribe members in order to make collective decisions for the benefit of the tribe as a whole is basically the definition AlpinLuke gave.

May 2015
Texas
my definition is the official definition or true republican form of government or the very first republican government is what I am typing about.

@Olleus if its time immemorial and pre historic civilization, well then the creator of that government isn't known or there has never been a creator as pre human societies governments have always been like that naturally I am guessing. If your right, well then that answers my question. I thought Tyranny's were the first form of government

Chlodio

Forum Staff
Aug 2016
Dispargum
Hunter-gatherers practiced true democracy where the entire community participated in decision making. This is only possible in very small communities. Hunter-gatherers often live in communities of less than 30 people. Tyrannies can only emerge when communities grow so large that it is no longer practical for everyone to participate in decision making. Those who make the decisions are potentially tyrants, while those left out of the decision-making process are the disenfranchised.

A republic is a form of government where all (or more likely most or just many) people elect representatives who make the decisions on behalf of their constituents. This is sometimes called representative democracy. Again, it's a function of size because society is too large for everyone to participate directly. A republic requires the leader to acknowledge that he or she lacks the expertise to rule alone. Voting rights are a way to secure the cooperation of those who only vote but do not participate directly in the decision-making process.

Before becoming a republic most societies pass through a phase of monarchy, tyranny, or perhaps theocracy where decisions are made by one person or a very small group. Republics emerge when people are no longer willing to trust their political destinies to others and insist on some degree of participation.

The Athenian and Roman Republics were established at about the same time - just prior to 500 BCE.

Apr 2018
Italy
@Condotttiero so plato created it? at least in theory?
Possibily the term res publica is more ancient, probabily was created after 509 BC after the end of the roman monarchy in opposition to res privata, when the power was in the hands of the king.

Reactions: Kotromanic