Who is likely to be Hitler's successor as Nazi leader in the event of a Nazi victory in WWII?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Who is likely to be Hitler's successor as Nazi leader in the event of a Nazi victory in World War II? I know that Hitler designated Goering as his successor in 1939 (and privately in 1934 before that) and Hess as his designated successor #2 in the event that something would have happened to Goering, but would Hitler have still had this attitude in a scenario where Nazi Germany would have won World War II? In such a scenario, would Hitler believe that Goering is the man that Nazi Germany needs to continue his own (Hitler's) legendary vision for Germany? Or would Hitler ultimately come to the conclusion that his vision is best served by someone else after his own death?

Jan 2013
Toronto, Canada
We've probably never heard of the man who would have succeeded Hitler. I don't think he would have chosen any of the senior people from the thirties or forties. They remembered Hitler before he became Fuhrer and they knew about his mistakes. He would want someone who had spent most of their life living under Nazism.

Reactions: Futurist
Apr 2017
U.S.A.
Goering largely fell out of favor after Stalingrad but if Hitler won then that may not have happened. I doubt Goering would have been favorable that long, most people generally believe Himmler was better equipped to take power but Nazi politics could change quickly depending on Hitler's whim. Could be like in real life, all the major players were dead, missing or disgraced; so Doenitz became Fuhrer.

Reactions: Futurist
May 2017
France
The amiral Karl Doenitz,considered as a heroe by the germans, was the best man for the négociations with the allied.But he was too honest-he forbided the destruction of the archives of the Kriegsmarine,as he was very proud of the work of his sailors,and particularly of his submariners-to be the leader of the nazis.I think a gangster like Martin Bormann would have successed to Hitler in case of german Victory.Hermann Goehring,another gangster,was discredited by the defeat of the Luftwaffe.

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
Whoa.

I know that you, @Futurist, are really well read on the Third Reich but this was something I hadn't read in a long time and seem to have been unaware, that R Hess was the "understudy to the understudy". Thanks for the fact nugget.

Isleifson

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Lorraine tudesque
Heinrich Himmler was the most powerfull man after Hitler.

Head of the SS, head of the police. So...

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Whoa.

I know that you, @Futurist, are really well read on the Third Reich but this was something I hadn't read in a long time and seem to have been unaware, that R Hess was the "understudy to the understudy". Thanks for the fact nugget.
Adolf Hitler's Address to the Reichstag (1 September 1939) - Wikisource, the free online library

"Should anything happen to me in the struggle then my first successor is Party Comrade Göring; should anything happen to Party Comrade Göring my next successor is Party Comrade Heß. You would then be under obligation to give to them as Führer the same blind loyalty and obedience as to myself. Should anything happen to Party Comrade Heß, then by law the Senate will be called, and will choose from its midst the most worthy - that is to say the bravest - successor."

Hess also appears to be the person who shared the idea of Lebensraum with Hitler. Hess learned this idea from his geopolitics professor Karl Haushofer (who, ironically, I believe had a Jewish wife).

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
We've probably never heard of the man who would have succeeded Hitler. I don't think he would have chosen any of the senior people from the thirties or forties. They remembered Hitler before he became Fuhrer and they knew about his mistakes. He would want someone who had spent most of their life living under Nazism.
So, a complete dark horse? Not even Albert Speer?