Who is the best, overlooked American General

Aug 2011
Ohio
Who is the best, overlooked American General?

I personally have a tie and they both come from the Revolutionary War.

1. Nathanael Greene - What Greene did in the South was genius. He took a shattered Southern Army and gave them hope. He split his army into two in order to move quicker and feed them easier. He gave Cornwallis fits and eventually settled it at the Battle of Guilford Courthouse.

2. Daniel Morgan - Morgan was the other half of the southern campaign under Greene. He played a huge role in the Battle of Saratoga and at the Battle of Cowpens which IMO was the greatest tactical victory in the Revolutionary War.

It is a shame that these guys don't get much pub in history books, especially Greene. This was a guy that Washington asked to be put in charge if he was killed in Battle.

pikeshot1600

Ad Honorem
Jul 2009
I nominate Robert Eichelberger, commander I Corps, and then US Eighth Army in New Guinea and the Philippines, 1942-44. This guy worked for MacArthur, and was a soldier's soldier in contrast to his boss.

Eichelberger was an outstanding general, but no one knows anything about him. He was promoted four-stars in 1954.

tjadams

Ad Honoris
Mar 2009
Texas
A few names I've come across, holding a fascination for, but never
seeing much about them:
1. Tasker H. Bliss
2. Henry H. Arnold
3. Carl A. Spaatz
4. Walton Walker
5. Tommy Franks

Aug 2011
Texas
2. Daniel Morgan - Morgan was the other half of the southern campaign under Greene. He played a huge role in the Battle of Saratoga and at the Battle of Cowpens which IMO was the greatest tactical victory in the Revolutionary War.
Back in his day he was very famous. Anyone with the last name of Morgan claimed him as a relative.

botully

Ad Honorem
Feb 2011
Amelia, Virginia, USA
A few names I've come across, holding a fascination for, but never
seeing much about them:
1. Tasker H. Bliss
2. Henry H. Arnold
3. Carl A. Spaatz
4. Walton Walker
5. Tommy Franks
Walton Walker is a good catch. He performed a miracle holding the Pusan Perimeter, and was badly treated by his boss, MacArthur. Another Korean War general who deserves more recognition is Oliver Smith, commander of the !st Marine Division, and we can throw in Matt "Old Iron Tits" Ridgeway.

redcoat

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Stockport Cheshire UK
George Henry Thomas :)
Without question, the best 'unknown' US general of the ACW
[ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Henry_Thomas]George Henry Thomas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Mar 2011
Georgia USA
Benedict Arnold (granted, self inflicted)... is only remembered for being a traitor.
Never ever (other than by us history buffs) is he remembered for being a great general. . .
Yet he saved the cause so much more than he damaged it.

Spartacuss

Ad Honorem
Jul 2010
Georgia, USA
J. Lawton Collins- WWII
Commanding general of the 25th Infantry Division at Guadalcanal. Later transferred to the ETO where he commanded the VII corps in Normandy. Considered by both Eisenhower and Bradley to the the best allied corps commander in Europe. Quiet and deadly efficient. Overlooked somewhat for his role in the planning of Operation Cobra.